A Superworm Fell On My Hen and Is Buried in Feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by azhenhouse, Apr 14, 2011.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    I know this is probably the most stupidest question ever...but, can superworms harm a chicken? I was feeding my flock some superworms this morning, and I dropped some of the little nasties on one of my hens. Before I could get to her two crawled into her feathers, and now I can't find them. There is no harm, correct. Will they eventually fall off of her?

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I bet she or the other hens will get them, sorry don't even know what these worms are, so not sure if they could reproduce and infest her

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Aren't those like mealworms? If so, they are just the larval or pupal form of a beetle. I wouldn't worry. [​IMG]

4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Are superworms the same thing as king mealworms? If so, I think she'll be just fine. It'll probably crawl around on her for a while and eventually be noticed by the other hens. Then, lunchtime!

5. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    They are a type of beetle larva, similar to mealworms. No harm to chickens. It probably already fell out and they ate it. If not, it will eventually die from lack of food.

6. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Guess she'll have a great snack for later [​IMG]

7. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    LOL! I just had to see what a superworm was! I'm sure if she didn't get it, another chicken did!

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You probably can't find it because it's inside of the birds now as they snatched it up faster than you can see.

9. cityhermit

cityhermit Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Nothing to fear. I've been raising superworms for my chickens and they go absolutely nuts over them -- one of their favorite treats. [​IMG]

10. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Superworms are a favorite for our girls too.

My guess is she will or has found it while she is preening herself or it will work out onto the ground and get snapped up. But I'm sure there is no potential for harm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by