A sure-fire cure to all respiratory illness in chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmc, Jan 20, 2011.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    I know some of you know about this amazing cure. But for those of you who are not among the older members of BYC, I'll clue you in: it has a wooden handle and on one side of that handle is a rather heavy piece of metal which is very sharp along one edge. It is administered by swinging it like a hammer............

Your vet bill--if you have the money to do such--will get you loads of healthy babies............
    Your bill for antibiotics and syringes will get you maybe 8 healthy babies.............
    And your remaining flock members will still be nice and healthy..................

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Why do you have 2 formerly's? Have you been banned before?

3. Trishkabob

Trishkabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2010
    Schuylerville, NY
    not funny. not helpful.

4. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:Funny! No.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I believe what the OP is trying to say is not to treat respiratory illness, period. I happen to agree with that due to the carrier status of supposedly recovered birds, setting up a cycle of disease in your flock. Most old time chicken keepers and breeders subscribe to that opinion as well.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Not funny, but very realistic!

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Agree, jmc. Fortunately, I've never had any respiratory illnesses and I don't plan on having them in the future. I'd hate to have to do it, but if one should show up the flocks are culled. Harsh, but effective. No point in perpetuating and spreading diseases.

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Whatever your feelings on this, it would be pretty sad for someone who is new, terrified that their favorite little hen that sits on their lap every day is sick, comes here for help and sees the title of this thread only to read to whack their heads off.
    Perhaps I'm getting mushy in my old age, but just the wording on this seems pretty harsh-reality or not. [​IMG]

9. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Quote:Though, when hard pressed, I have to agree with JMC's overall message...however I'm with easttx on this, not exactly the best way to communicate it.

ETA: And agreed, I'm also probably getting mushy in my old age, in more ways then one.. [​IMG]

10. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:exactly. And.........Yes, I intentionally used a 'literary genre' to make the point more clearly. Again, yes, that is the old time medicine (and NOT so old time!!!) for dealing with more than one chx. illness.

As the saying went, "Better not name your horse, cuz ya might hafta eat 'im!"

I too am mushy, believe it or not...........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by