A sure sign eggs are coming....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlickin8, Jul 7, 2011.

1. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    THE SQUAT! My girls are 18 weeks old today and I caught her doing the "SQUAT" for me! [​IMG] She stayed perfectly still for a minute or two...so I snapped a couple of pics! She looked so cute. Can't wait for my first egg .... [​IMG]

MEG
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    [​IMG] Woohoo!! Congrats! I have about 8 weeks or so before my girls start doing that.

3. citybiddies

citybiddies Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    [​IMG] Yea! Won't be long now. 2 of our 6 pullets started doing this in the past week. They are 18 1/2 weeks. No eggs yet, but that doesn't keep me from checking more times than I care to admit. [​IMG]

4. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Whoa! My Ginger did that for me last night! I was like "what the heck are you doing???" (this is the first time with chickens for me) She is only 16 weeks, is a New Hampshire. Yay!!! [​IMG]

5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    Good pics!!! And congrats!!! Eggs are-a-commin!!!!

6. LuvMyHens2016

LuvMyHens2016 New Egg

Jul 25, 2016
    I've got 8.. 2 RIR, 2 Deleware, 2 Welsummer and 2 Ameraucana's! They'll be 20 weeks this Thursday. My little RIR runt Ginger has a teeny comb and wattle and are hardly red, that being said SHE laid her first egg 8/20!!! Second 8/22! She just now started squatting. My Deleware's are huge, w large red combs and wattles, have been singing the egg song for weeks now and have been squatting for over a month.... I got my first egg from one of them this am and my larger RIR! My little Ginger has defied all indications of egg laying! So now in my eyes there's really no "sure sign" lol Just look up each breed specific info and note the estimated first egg time frame... I figured my lil Ginger would be the last of the 4 who are in the timeframe window and she was the first! She did great too! The two this morning were very vocal (Loudest they've ever been), mean, restless- in and out of the hen house, scratching around the nesting boxes like crazy, just acting really strange! Ginger just went in and out a few times, was very quiet and sort of kept to herself for a couple days.. Each one sure seems to have their own way of handling the first egg! It's super exciting!! I was so proud of my girls!!! Excited to see how the rest are going to be and can't wait to get to see how pretty their eggs will be too!! (Dark chocolate brown and blue green) good luck!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by