A Surprise Baby!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Keeper, Dec 19, 2007.

1. The Keeper

The Keeper New Egg

Oct 10, 2007
    North Carolina
    Here's a short story... I'll try to post some pics sometime tomorrow if I get a chance. [​IMG]

In October, I tried to make an incubator and hatch some chicks. But it didn't go so well.. I didn't have the money to make a proper bater, and ended up cooking my eggs. D: I eventually gave up and decided I would just buy more chicks in the spring.

But Monday morning, my dad woke me up really early, and in his hands, he had a baby chicken! (I was totally zonked out though. I saw it and first though "How'd you find a baby bald eagle?" lol)

Anyways, he told me to go look for others. Turns out, one of my Silver Phoenix hatched six babies in a secret nest outside of the coop! Sadly though... five of them died in the cold that night. Two were pure Silver Phoenix, one was a pale yellow, and the other two were a yellow/brown mixture.

We didn't want to risk the last one in the cold, so we're keeping it inside. We've got a little plastic tub, the heat lamp, a heating pad for night times, and the food and water inside. (We also have a little Torchic stuffed animal to keep her company) I'm still trying to figure out who the father is... I'm guessing out golden hamburg, but I guess time will tell.

Well we got her eating and drinking right off the bat. My goodness, she's lively! She LOVES to snuggle with us, and she runs to hands and chases fingers on the floor. She's absolutely adorable. She stays in my room since it's the warmest in the house. She seems pretty content, and our quicky brooder seems to be doing its job very well. She even wakes and sleeps when I do.

I also wanted to thank this forum for all the help it and its members has been. I've learned a lot just by browsing and such.

Again, I'll try to post pictures sometime tomorrow evening. [​IMG]

2. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Awww, I can't wait to see the pictures. I'm glad you have a survivor there.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Awww, thats sad about the others, but glad you have one survivor! I can't waite to see the pics!

4. The Keeper

The Keeper New Egg

Oct 10, 2007
    North Carolina
    So sorry for the wait! I've been worked to death over the holiday. D:

So here's a shot of the chick.

[​IMG]

Loooves the plushie there. XD

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What a sweetheart! I have a stuffed duck that I always put in the brooder. Mr. Ducky has been washed over and over and provided comfort to many babies.

6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    What a cutie! Aren't surprises neat!

7. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    That is a beautiful surprise.

8. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps