A surprise visitor in the hen house--Need advice on Grouse

RtSixtySixChix

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 16, 2011
Westmoreland County, PA
So I'm out in the coop today, showing my daughter how I re-purposed an old armoire into a nesting center. While we were standing there, a little chick of some sort came right up to the coop opening. It kind of looked like a chicken but then again, not.... I gathered it up and held it close, while sending the girls to fetch my dog crate from the basement. We put in some pine shavings, feeder and waterer and set the mysterious chickie inside. After googling different species, I think it is a grouse. the most beautiful eyes it has. Very calm looking. I'm not sure what to do with her, but she can stay for awhile. Anyone have any insight on grouse? Would this chick get along with the flock? Are there concerns I should know about?

Alright, I think I have found my camera/USB adapter, so I will post pics tonight after work......Somebody told me that I can't keep a State Bird, so if it is a Ruffed Grouse.... maybe just through the winter?
idunno.gif

Most places don't allow you to keep what is considered wildlife. In many states, I want to say grouse would be considered a game animal too.

Of course you still need to post pics. LOL

106808_new_ee_chicks.jpg

Ok, the mystery was partially solved when my hubby found out that his brother(our landlord and legal owner of my hen house) had placed the small chick inside my coop yesterday. Not knowing it was in there and it had came out of hiding and followed the others outside when I opened the coop door. He said this chick is an Aracauna, but after extensive reading of various posts here in the chicken forum, I learned that some stores sell EEs as Aracaunas. So, I started looking at photos of EEs...and I think this baby, pictured here with another of my brother in law's new birds, could be an EE.

Ha, and I thought the Lord was just sending another bird to my doorstep!
D.gif

I had a pheasant hen who literally shacked up with my hens last year. My chicken run is uncovered and the pheasant hen would fly in at dusk and roost with the hens and fly our at dawn when I came out to toss scratch feed out. Come to find out that she was raised by the neighbor kids 1/2 mile up the road. I haven't seen her since spring. I was told it was illegal to "have" her but, honestly, if any DNR officers came by, then she just would have gotten frightened and flown away. They would be hard pressed to claim that I was "keeping" her when she was coming and going at will. Here's a fairly blurry pic of her with my black cochin hen.

11594_mama1.jpg

OP: glad you solved the mystery

A friend of mine has a large mixed flock - chickens, ducks & turkeys.
Recently 3 wild turkeys have joined the flock.
DNR told her she shouldn't be "keeping" them, but try telling these turkeys they have to leave!

Back
Top Bottom