A surprising morning!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by KauAnnie, Jun 30, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Today I wake up to my mom beeping her car horn. Why? because there were 3 chickens in her "parking stall" (garage). I sprang up as soon as I heard my dad say chickens! I was so excited. So this was about 7:30 in the morning and I normally wake up at 10ish so I was a little light headed too haha (went to bed 2 am). We mushed them into the backyard so she could park her car. I think they are all girls and they travel in a herd. If one goes by the boat, they all follow along. It does seem like one is the leader. All day I have been doing things to ensure they dont get sick and stay happy. After a lot of nagging and begging, my mom, younger brother and I have persuaded my dad into letting us keep them. My mom wants them for their eggs and my brother and I just want them cause their cute! haha. I had a chicken once before, she was also a stray. A very, very curious one who jumped into my dogs area and was dinner [​IMG]. Her name was flee flee cause she always ran away. But these new chickens are different, they look quite young, almost adult maybe? The one who seems like the leader lets us pet her and carry her with little trouble. However, the other 2 run away, so how do you tame them? We have been brainstorming all day for names. They make weird noises when we pet them though, is that normal? Hope you have a wonderful day! [​IMG]

2. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Won't you try to find their owners? Won't someone be looking for their three lost chickens?

3. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    They're owners were these people renting next door for a few months. They moved away last week and apparently let their chickens free. I think it would be safer for the chickens life if I housed them rather they go on the road and become road kill or become the stray cats dinner.

4. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    Also it seems like when someone moves next door they always try to raise chickens (theres a coop out back) but when they move away they let them free (often when they move away, I have chickens in my yard. But they dont stay long cause they get eaten.). I live in kinda a busy area.

5. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    Quote:How sad! I hate it when people abandon animals. Chickens that are used to people caring for them may quickly become sitting ducks...[​IMG]...sorry for the mixed metaphor but I couldn'rt resist. [​IMG]

Tame them with food. mealworms, cooked rice, oatmeal, watermelon, they love food.[​IMG]

6. ForgottenGlen

ForgottenGlen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Raeford, NC
    Quote:They love treats, [​IMG] little bits of fruits and veggies leftover from making meals, a little bit of bread, but not too much, probably a slice or two between them. Mine always make little noises when I pet them! What do they look like?

7. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Ah, well then that makes sense. Perhaps when the landlord comes out to do a cleanup of the property before re-rental you could offer to help in exchange for the coop. I know that I'd love a deal like that if I had to clean up after tenants. You might get the coop you need at the same time. Then other BYCers could help you figure ways to improve on whatever structure you are given.

8. KauAnnie

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    The owners of the house moved to the mainland 3 years ago and he comes about every 18 months I think, just to clean up the house. He was recently here, a month or so. The coop is built into their fence somehow. I wish it was transportable, just a few more feet into my yard haha

9. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Hi, firstly [​IMG][​IMG]

Woohoo! Funny story!

Sounds like you have the chicken bug! Good luck getting a coop - remember they need to be locked in at night or predators (even in the city) will get them. Can you use the neighbour's coop until new tenants move in? Hmmmm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by