1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Sweater for Sienna

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by schmije, Dec 1, 2009.

1. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    A dear family friend found a pattern for a knitted chicken sweater, and she made one for me. Here is the beautiful, somewhat unwilling, Sienna modeling her creation. The hole was supposed to be for her wings, but the chest section was too long, and she got her feet caught in it. We flipped it over and made it a cape instead. She was NOT thrilled when everybody ran over to see her new 'clothes'. She chased the others away, then ran to hide in the coop. LOL!

Thank you Shari for giving us a really good laugh. We love you!

[​IMG]

After she hid in the coop, I tried the sweater the right way. This is her giving me the evil eye. Ha ha!

[​IMG]

2. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    That's funny! [​IMG] She looks really pretty in that.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Cute, but no, she doesn't look to happy! Pretty sweater!

4. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Very cute, but was she cold??

5. schmije

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    She wasn't cold. It was just something that we thought would be funny and cute. I told my friend Shari that if she knit the sweater, I'd figure out a way to get it on one of my girls and send her a picture. Sienna was surprisingly calm when I was pulling the sweater over he head and wrapping it around her. She only wore it for about ten minutes, and it was obvious that she wasn't impressed. The second picture was a position that she held for a couple of minutes. She didn't move at all, and she gave me the evil eye the entire time. LOL!

Apparently she wasn't too traumatized by it, because she was following me around the yard like normal later in the day.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  6. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    So CUTE!!

7. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    [​IMG]
    Very cute

Just goes to show that you COULD teach them to wear it if you had to....Say an ex battery hen in the winter for example [​IMG]

8. schmije

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Quote:Actually the sweaters were designed specifically for retired battery hens.

9. suburbanchx

suburbanchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Where did your friend get the sweater pattern? I would like to see it [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. schmije

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Quote:There are lots of patterns out there, but this is the one that was used for our sweater:
    http://www.nickitrench.com/id2.html

Shari says "Due to the pink, green and white colorway of Sienna's sweater, I call it the 'Lily Pullet-zer' model, after Lily Pulitzer's Florida clothing line." [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by