A Sweaty Rooster?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Minniechickmama, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have a 1-year old Blue Silkie roo. He has been in cage with his two girlfriends for most of the winter, sadly enough but was getting trampled by my Jersey Giants otherwise. But the problem is, he started acting weird and rocking around on his legs like something was wrong with his feet. I checked his feet several times and there is nothing wrong with them. He was not like that when I put him in the cage. It is plenty large enough for them all to move around, so I don't understand what the problem is. But here is the kicker, about once a week I go out in the morning to do chores and he is wet, from sweat! Or I assume so, since there is not a bowl in there big enough for him to have tried bathing. Can anyone offer an explanation or diagnosis for this poor guy. It is bad enough that his crow sounds like this stupid rubber chicken we have that has a goofy sound it makes when you squeeze it, now he has this weirdness happening to him too.
    Thanks for anyone who can crack the case of the sweaty rooster.

2. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    Can't help you with the wetness issue.... but try placing a board across a portion of the cage to give his feet a break from the wire cage bottom. We do this for rabbits because the weight against the wire can cause foot issues/sores. It may be creating some pressure points for him and the board/smooth surface may take some of the stress off. Good luck!

3. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:I too raise rabbits and have put a foot grid (I forget what they are called) and a board in the pen and he still does the wobbly walk. I don't think he ever got injured and he wasn't like that when I put him in the pen. The sweaty thing is really weird though.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi just wanted to encourage you to go to the Silkie thread and post your question there also, if this is something that happens to silkies then they would be able to help you..

5. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks Lydia. I will do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by