A sweet tempered broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by keeperofthehearth, Mar 26, 2009.

1. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Can it be? I have 3 Marans, two of which have gone broody. One, Becka, has the typical "broody" behavior and temperment. Growly, whiney, fluffed up and in a bad temper when she get out to eat. Bree, on the other hand, has recently gone broody and you wouldn't even know it except that she is devotedly sitting on a clutch of eggs. It took me two days to decide she really was broody. She quietly spoke to me when I lifted her up and took the fake eggs out to put real eggs under her. She let me move her to a new box with a quiet inquiry and then set where I put her, calm and unruffled. Generally, they fluff up and growl the whole time you're trying to work with them. When she gets up to eat she just quietly goes over to the feeder and eats, gets a drink, then goes back to her clutch. If someone is sitting on it, she quietly waits or gets in another box until I come in and move her back. She even greeted me this morning as usual, sitting on a high shelf sweetly asking me for a piece of bread and "gently" taking it fm me while every one else is pushing, shoving and grabbing all they can get. I wish all my broodies were like her. I wonder how she will get along when her chicks hatch? Can you breed that quality into your chooks?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've had three very sweet broodies, well, four really. My latest one, a Blue Orp, is a feathered pitbull, though.

3. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

feathered pitbull, though.

[​IMG]

So far,except for Bree, all of mine are more closely related to your feathered pitbull. [​IMG]

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I have Woodstock, my broody Brahma banty hen. She will never be totally de-broodied. We've tried and year round if something doesn't go her way she'll let out a great big growl. [​IMG] As her owner, I have treated her with nothing but TLC from the day she was born. I will pick her up and she'd growl, however she would never bite. She goes after the roosters, too! She will go up against my dominant, imagine banty on banty, and fight it out until he walks away.

She has also learned the pecking trick. If she wants to go back after I let her out for a break, or if she wants something that I'm holding, she'll peck my jeans until I notice her standing there, and then grunts like broody hens do until I give her what she wants. It does hurt, though.

That sounds lovely to have such a well behaved broody! As far as qualit goes, I've bred mean-ness into chickens before. (Not on purpose, of course.) I think it has to do with preferance mostly, though. Like how she responds herself.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:[​IMG]

So far,except for Bree, all of mine are more closely related to your feathered pitbull. [​IMG]

I have a picture of the Blue pitbull and Speckledhen is not kidding WOW she looks like she will take your face off! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by