A Tale of 2, No 4 Rescue Hens: (Pics and More Like an Adoption)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Whittni, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    A Tale of 2, No 4 Rescue Hens:
    By: Whittni

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

~Friday September 16th,
    I offer to give a home to 3 ex-layer hens. Their ages ranging from 2-3 years old and 1 pullet at point of lay (which I didn't expect to get but it was alright), for a total of 4 hens...of no cost to me. This was a 18 - 20 yr old lady whom seemed to like her hens but she warned me they won't look so good but would eat peanut butter from your hands. So naturally I said sure, just run them out to me and my mom and I will meet her.

Around 4:45pm I showed up at the park were we agreed to meet...she was a little lost but I managed to flag her down. She was also about 15 or 20 minutes late (I was prepared to wait an hour). She had them in rubbermaid boxes with the trunk of her car open and this silver shiny thing covering the tops...not the safest option but it got the birds there. She also a had a little white dog in the car. I was happy to see the hens. 3 Barred rocks, 2 in one box and the other with a Pullet Leghorn in the other. I didn't want to make the white one go home alone so I offered to take her to.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

When we got home I put them in my coop without roosters and just a couple of my hens. They were all very friendly and drank water quickly. The following pictures were taken today (9/17/11) :

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I added a rooster in with them this morning, he's a big baby an won't hurt them...Rosco, you wuss. XD It is true though...he's afraid of everything except other female chickens and people. The hens get the DE tonight and there bug spray stuff...[​IMG]

Thanks, Hope you Enjoyed!
    ~Whittni

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

So glad you rescued them! [​IMG]

3. Whittni

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Me too! ^_^

4. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    What happened? Were they abused or not taken care of properly?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not sure what makes them "rescues". They look like hens who are molting badly, but they don't look abused to me-bright eyes, good comb and wattle color. Did she have a rooster with them?

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

So good of you.

Imp

7. Whittni

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Quote:No, actually they didn't.

8. Whittni

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Quote:They were "Fend for Yourself" Hens.

9. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011

No food and no shelter?

10. Whittni

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah

No food and no shelter?

She said she had a coop and they were just there to be there, she watered them but they had to get there own food like free range hens or what she described as "Ground Peckers"

Thats about all the info I have on their background.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by