1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Tale of Two Roosters or Which Rooster is the Best Rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Crazie Eddie, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Crazie Eddie

Crazie Eddie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    As is my luck with selecting chickens, I ended up with yet another rooster in last years chicks. Fortunately, for a while I had room for two separate flocks, and there was peace.

Unfortunately, I now need to consolidate, and there is only room for one rooster. But which rooster...

Bubba la Douche is older and is very considerate of his hens, always finding and pointing out the best tidbits, but is a real coward when threatened by the unexpected (me in a sundress, for example). However, at the ripe old age of 3, he doesn't appear to be in the best of health - his favorite hen is a feather picker and he seems content to let her strip him bald, leaving him the textbook example of "henpecked".

Gomer Piles (The Hemorrhoid Hen) is only one year old, and does his best defending his ladies, including standing up to my 70 pound dog (through a fence of course) and attacking me when I collect eggs, although he seems less interested in finding goodies for the girls. And while Gomer is young and virile, an accident while a youngster causes him to walk like a drunken Nazi, most amusing, but not a convincing threat.

So who is the best rooster to lead my little flock? In our new digs there will be more free-ranging but with the increased risk of predators, although I can see that Bubba and the girls I've already moved seem much happier.

I would happily place either of them in a good home rather than the stock pot I regularly threaten them with, but which one to keep?

Any advice would be appreciated...

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    For me it would be an easy choice. I'd get rid of the human aggressive rooster and raise up another cockerel hoping for better temperament.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    yep, keep the older one, and try for a new replacement. Chicks raised in the flock or from some other crazy chicken person.

Attacking you is a bad sign, and they generally keep on attacking, and will attack other people.

Mrs K

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    x3! There's no room in my life for an attack bird, and that bad boy needs to go. He's stupid, at best, and dangerous to you and anyone else around. Mary

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Sorry, but I agree.

And :lol:

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I vote for keeping the old one, too.

7. Crazie Eddie

Crazie Eddie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Belated thank you all for replying. I'm now getting my courage organized to do the deed as I haven't found any volunteers...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by