A temp question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bhazell123, Jun 11, 2011.

1. bhazell123

bhazell123 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Welsh La
    Just wandering Wat temp us too low for temp to drop in an incubator

2. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I believe any bit under 99F is too low. Over 102F is too much.

3. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I think it's okay if it goes down and up a bit as long as it doesn't stay there too long like for days. I have had dips down to like 97 and no problems with my eggs or as high s 102 but when the temp changes I fix it right away so that it doesn't stay that way for too long so the chicks internal egg temp doesn't change

4. bhazell123

May 24, 2011
    Welsh La
    Okies thanks a ton think I might have my incubator almost at the right temp yay [​IMG]

5. bhazell123

May 24, 2011
    Welsh La
    So is it ok for it to be between 99 and 102 because finally got mine sitting in that area

6. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    i had a drop to about 85 but it didnt stay that way long

7. Ceinwyn

Ceinwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Southeast Ohio
    Short term low temps don't have much of an affect. It takes a long time for the internal temperature of the egg to drop to unsafe levels.
    High temperatures are much more of a problem.
    Always remember the hen leaves the nest to eat and drink during the day and the eggs are fine.
    Did you have a low temperature drop?

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. Last winter on our coldest night we lost power. It was around 2 weeks into incubation. The power had already been off for a couple of hours when I discovered the power was off, my incubator temp was 78 degrees. Luckily I had a battery pack and an inverter. I plugged the incubator into it and got the temp back up. After a couple of more hrs the power came back on. I candled the eggs and saw movement. I still had a good hatch.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  9. bhazell123

May 24, 2011
    Welsh La
    Nope still setting up my homemade incubator to the right temps first to low now I got it yo that range so if it drops to 98 for a few mins will it still be ok or should I stick to the temps being between 99 and 102? I'll let it run over night to make sure no spikes happen but I was getting frustrated because it was ranging so much but now if seems to be doing wat I want lol and I wanted to make sure that if the temps were in that range the eggs would be ok

10. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    It will go up and down a bit depending on the temp in the room. If you get wild temp spikes (like we got three days at 98 degrees here) the temp will go up or down depending on what the temp is where it's sitting. That's when I usually watch it and if it gets really hot I turn it down a bit or if it's too cool turn it up a bit. As long as you address it right way it will be okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by