A THANKS, new chicks, almost done coop.....(pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bearfretworks, May 6, 2008.

1. bearfretworks

bearfretworks Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    Western MN
    First, a huge thanks for all the info I've gleaned off this site. I decided to register to express my thanks as well as show off some pics!

I remember raising chickens (and lots of other birds) in Alaska as a kid so thought we'd get some now that we've relocated to MN. The coop, not quite done, is 10 x 12 with the chicken portion 8 x 10. It is fully insulated and will be wired for electricity. There will be a separate uninsulated coop attached to the left side soon.....that is where the freezer fillers will be raised.

Coop:

[​IMG]

The birds came from McMurray Hatchery and arrived yesterday morning. The local P.O. called and I picked them up when they opened. All appear healthy and happy.......eating, drinking, and generating LOTS of poop. We went with Black Austrolorps, Barred Rocks, Buff Rocks, and Partridge Rocks as they are supposed to be dual purpose birds that lay in winter AND are kid friendly. Ordered 11 each and they kicked in an extra BA and BR along with the "rare" chick.

Birds:

[​IMG]

Any idea what breed the "rare" chick is (lower right in this pic)?

[​IMG]

....and another "rare chick" shot......

[​IMG]

Again, THANK YOU for a friendly, informative site.

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I would say an Ameraucana or EE but he legs are not colored blue or green...so I have no idea but it sure is cute!

Nice looking flock you have started and I love the coop. They will be happy chickens in there.

3. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    Looks like my Old English Game Bantam did at a few days old. But then again, I don't know much about identifying chicks!

THey are precious though.. and I love your coop!!

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    MMH's EE chick pics show them with green AND yellow legs. Maybe this changes over time... or maybe they have yellow legs because being EE's they are mixed. Some others have posted on mystery bird posts that their EE's had yellow legs as chicks.... so, I guess time will tell [​IMG]

Cute babies and that coop looks like it couls be a guest house! LOL

5. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    Congrats on the new little ones. Your coop looks great. Wish I was that far along with mine( I haven't even started [​IMG] ). Hope your chicks grow up wonderfully

6. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Awesome coop! Wish mine was going to be that great.

Where in Alaska did you live?

The mystery chick looks like lighter version of my Araucana chicks. They have that same chipmunk pattern on them. Their legs are yellow too, but with a tinge of metallic shine that I took as potential green coloring. They were sold as Araucana, anyway, although I don't think they are pure breed.

Congrats on a great looking flock!

7. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    Could be a Speckled Sussex -- that's what mine looked like as babies.

[​IMG]

8. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Welcome and nice job on the coop. You have yourself the start of a very nice little flock.

[​IMG]

9. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Your little rare chick sure looks like 3 of my Ameraucana chicks. Congrats on your beautiful babies. Good luck and they have a great lookin house too.[​IMG][​IMG]:weee:ya

10. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    great looking coop...my EE from MM had yellow legs....I think alot of the mystery chicks have came from the EE bin this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by