Booswalia

Songster
10 Years
Jun 28, 2009
Prince Edward Island, CAN
pumpkin.jpg

Last edited:
gig.gif
I really like that!! Cute idea. You know, I bought a couple pie pumpkins for my silly girls, and really thought that they'd go crazy for them.
Well, not so much. So, I told them I won't buy them any more pumpkins, I will only buy them for us, because we just love pumpkin pie, bread, etc. I think you get the picture! Thanks for sharing!

I just gave mine a pumpkin I put it in the run no one touched it so I cut it in have and filled with grape tomatoes..They love it..It was so much fun watching them eat it...
frow.gif

The produce manager at the supermarket gave me a pumpkin with a little mold on one side last week. I skinned the moldy part, cut it into chunks and put it out for the chickens. It was
love.gif
at first bite! Not even the skin was left!

I can understand why Thanksgiving is celebrated so early in Canada.

Don't neglect your pumpkins, chicken-keepers! Leaving them to freeze and rot in the garden is unacceptable to your chickens. Don't even think about tossing them after Halloween. You can cut a Jack o'lantern up, cook, bag, and freeze it for winter treats.

The birds should have plenty of their regular feed but for something special thru the long winter months - pumpkins are a chicken favorite.

Steve

I found a persimmion tree on a old farm loaded with persimmions. this place has an old abandoned barn the buzzards love to roost on noticed crows around the base of a tree,found they were eating persimmions so I gathered a few for my chickens to try. wow the chickens eat them fast. Will save the seeds to plant some trees with.

They love picking at the cucumber like that. It keeps it steady and off the ground. Last night when I went out to close things down I noticed there was nothing left but the cucumber skins.

Good idea to put some pumpkin in the freezer for winter treats.

Back
Top Bottom