1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A tip for you

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ellie, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I built the run and then used the idea of those in this forum. I laid 2 ft. welded wire all the way around the pen and coop on the ground.

Here's the thing. I used some left over post hole cement on top of the wire especially in the corners. I just poured out the bag of cement and then put some water on it from the hose. Now, if an animal tries to dig under the wire, they will hit cement.

It worked great, and I raked dirt over it so it all looks natural.

Just thought I'd pass it along. I also used it in front of the gate to the run.

Ellie

Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    That's a good idea. Instead of concrete mix a person could just mix portland cement into the dirt around the pen and rake it up into a small curb. Water it down and the dirt will become hard as a rock.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Ellie, that is a great idea!!! My dh said we were going to need to do that too. We are currently building a HUGE coop and it will take a lot of predator proofing, but cement is pretty cheap. Thanks again.

4. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Yeah, Mac, it is hard as a rock... the post hole cement is somehow different than regular cement but I don't know what is different.

It is good to go in five minutes... no mixing.

Ellie

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    What you used was a fast setting concrete mix. Concrete is a mix of portland cement, sand, and stones. What I was trying to say is that a person could just use portland cement mixed into the dirt, making a sort of "dirt concrete" around the pen.

6. poppycat

poppycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    We did the same thing.

The only problem we had is our stinking dog broke her toe trying to dig in to get at the feed. She could care less about the chickens, but their food and their poop, she loves. Go figure.

7. waterfowlrescue

waterfowlrescue Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    NC
    My dog does the same thing she goes bezerck over poop.

8. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Got it, Mac. I've done that in the past too. This time, I just had some of the other left over. I'm glad you mentioned another way to get it done.

I have done a whole shed floor that way and walkways in the garden. Doesn't look too bad.

Ellie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by