A tough decision...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MichelleT, Jul 9, 2016.

  1. MichelleT

    MichelleT Chillin' With My Peeps

    246
    52
    116
    Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    My very favorite hen, Henrietta, has EYP. We've been dodging the bullet for quite some time now, but I think that it's the end of the line. I've done all the recommended treatments and she's been a real trooper, really, but this time she's not responding. (She started on antibiotics yesterday, as some threads have said helps, but she is getting slower and slower.) Add to that we're going out of town tomorrow and I don't want to leave this for our new chicken sitters. So I've decided that if she's not her springy self by tomorrow morning, we're going to have to put her down.

    We're very new to the backyard chicken life, and have had this group (of 5) for 2 years now. Although we lost one early, we've been really lucky - and I've been super vigilant. Henrietta almost didn't make it last summer (we think that was coccidiosis - she responded beautifully once we got her on Corid) and she and I really bonded through all the treatments. She now follows me around like a dog. Sweet, sweet hen. My daughter (14 years old) said to her this morning: "Well Henrietta, I think we gave you the best chicken-life possible."

    I think I just needed to tell some folks that 'get it' - thanks for listening...
     
    1 person likes this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

    Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

    10,237
    3,619
    406
    Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    [​IMG]
     
  3. farmgirllvo

    farmgirllvo Chillin' With My Peeps

    100
    2
    53
    Apr 27, 2016
    You can do it :) you don't want her to suffer and it sounds like he had a great chicken life :)
    You might want to have your husband or son or somebody else take care of her, it might e to hard for uku
     
  4. MichelleT

    MichelleT Chillin' With My Peeps

    246
    52
    116
    Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Thank you! @Wyorp Rock
     
  5. MichelleT

    MichelleT Chillin' With My Peeps

    246
    52
    116
    Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I have considered this, and my husband is willing (grew up on a farm).
    I think I may want to be with her, though. I was when my cat had to be euthanized and although hard, I'm glad it was me holding her when she passed...
     
  6. MichelleT

    MichelleT Chillin' With My Peeps

    246
    52
    116
    Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I sent my daughter out to give her a little calcium treat and guess who was chasing after her like her old, spunky self? Yep, you got it. Thing is, she's not really "better"... her abdomen is still very bloated, although I don't think it's getting worse. Right now she's out dustbathing with the others and panting, but so are 3 of the others: it was 100 degrees at 2:00pm and I'm sure it's at least 95 now. They've got plenty of water, which she's drinking and she's being quite social, as always. She's moving slower than the others, but she can bust it when she wants.

    So, now i've got to deide if I put a chicken down that ISN"T on death's doorstep but surely will be at some point in the near future OR to wait it out but over long distance, with no back-up if she goes downhill.
    Worst case scenario: she seems recouperated but isn't and my poor neighbor is stressed about it and Henrietta dies in a lot of pain and agony.
    Best case scenario: she does indeed recouperate and lasts who-knows-how-long living a blissful chicken existence - and we eventually put her down when that ceases to be the case.

    I'm asking/praying for a clear sign tomorrow - either she's noticeably better (swelling way down or gone) OR she's noticeably worse.

    This waiting/deciding is probably worse than the final outcome... :-(
     
  7. Wyorp Rock

    Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

    10,237
    3,619
    406
    Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi Michelle,
    How is your girl this morning?
     
  8. MichelleT

    MichelleT Chillin' With My Peeps

    246
    52
    116
    Sep 20, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for asking...
    She was definitely worse, although still engaged with her buddies. Her breathing is really labored today, and her belly even more swollen, so I know that she's in big trouble. I don't know if I made the right decision or not, so please no one tell me that I didn't. I'm stressed out completely between this and trying to get everything packed to leave.

    I gave her, as recommended by a BYC article, 500 mg tylenol + 200 mg Valarian root. It said that it takes "a while", and that's the truth. She's still just hunkering down, not moving but not 'falling asleep' either. Now I'm worried that I didn't use the right dose, that it didn't all get in her (which some didn't, but I'm 95% sure I made up for it), that I inadvertantly made it worse.. She's a trooper.

    So we're waiting, packing, and checking on her once in a while. She's in the shade, under our deck, away from the rest of the flock.
    I am a mess.
     
  9. Wyorp Rock

    Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

    10,237
    3,619
    406
    Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Bless your heart, I'm so sorry[​IMG]

    I know you were struggling with this oh so hard decision and I support your decision. It is a responsible, kind and loving thing to do when you know they are going down hill. She has had a loving family to spend her life with.
     
  10. chickcrack

    chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

    614
    111
    116
    May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    :( just brought me to tears. You are very brave and I admire your strength and love for your dear chicken. Hugs
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by