A tribute...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Camelot Farms, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

The world lost a great man today….You won’t hear about it on CNN, you won’t see it on the nightly news, it is only written on the faces of his family and friends.

Flags won’t be listed at half-mast. There wont be a worldwide moment of silence.

This was a common man. A man, in many ways like most others. This man never rode a shuttle into space or soared amongst the stars. But, ask his grandchildren who hung the moon. They will tell you. It was him. He never created anything earth shattering, except for the family whose world today came crashing down. He wasn’t worldly, just a good man whose word and handshake meant more than most. His life wasn’t chronicled by the news or the press, but his life story is etched in the hearts of his loved ones.

His fame didn’t come from money and wealth. It didn’t come from ‘Who’s Who’ in the world. The fame that he sought was only to be found in the eyes of his wife. In a day where marriages are often measured in years, even months, they proudly measured theirs in decades. Six.

He never traveled the globe or rubbed elbows with the elite. But, he had a standing spot at the local hardware store counter on Saturday mornings alongside the rest of the common men. This man didn’t drive anything shiny and new. His favorite ride was that old red Farmall. The one still tucked away in the barn I suspect.

As the oldest grandchild, sometimes I feel spoiled that he was mine for so long. For 89 years this man graced the lives of those who knew him. For 62 years he was a husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather. Was he a perfect man? No, not by the dictionary’s standard. Was he perfect for us? A resounding yes echoes from our hearts. He gave us each what we needed--when we needed it--even when we didn’t know we needed it-- and even if we didn’t like it….discipline, laughter, punishment, a place to call home, time and most of all love.

I wish I could tell you every story I’ve heard, every funny thing that ever happened. I could regale you with farm stories, parenting tales, driving experiences, things to make you laugh and even cry. He never spent a dull moment. He never let life pass him by. I suppose I could jot all this down in a book but for you it would be simpler to look into the faces of his wife and their family. That is where the true story is written.

In 40 years, I’ve only ever had him tell me a time or two that he loved me, and I said it first both times. But I didn’t have to hear it to know it. I tasted it in the vanilla ice cream with sprinkles. (Shhh. Don’t tell your Grand-Ma, she doesn’t need to know everything). I saw it in my handmade toy box. I felt it in the heat of the summer sun on the back of a tractor. I smelled it in the sweet hay in the mow. I heard it when he yelled at my mistakes and I heard it when he mumbled a praise. I know.

If you ask me what one item I want from his things, I would tell you that I already have what I want. I have his memories, his pictures, his stories, his history and most of all, I have his genes. I have his blood. I have what made him who he was. That is a gift, greater than all.

My tribute to him is in the life that I lead and the children I raise. My greatest gift to him is to be someone that he would be proud of.

2. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'm so very very sorry...
    UGh.. now ya got me crying... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Just beautiful...thank you for sharing! He must have been a very wonderful husband to you!

5. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    What a beautiful, heartfelt tribute. I have tears in my eyes just reading it and feel that he must have been one of those "salt of the earth" people. My sympathy for your loss.

6. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:Salt of the Earth describes Grandpa perfectly. A good man.

7. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Camelot - I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I never knew one of mine, and the other I lost when I was 13 - so I never got to build on the memories that you have of yours. You are lucky to have had him around in your life for so long - and it is obvious you loved him dearly and will forever cherish his memory. He will never truly die - his spirit will live on in you, your children, and their children. As you said you have his memories, his stories, his blood, and you can pass it down your family to the next generation.

Your story warmed my heart and made me cry - [​IMG] I couldn't help but think of my own grandpa who I barely remember his stories and tales as the last few years of his life after my grandma passed away - he deteriorated badly of a broken heart and had dementia and alzhiemers. [​IMG]

Use this time not to grieve but to remember who he was, and share the stories of his life. I fully well believe in not shedding tears over their death but sharing tears and laughter over the life and legacy he shared with his family.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    v.v that was pretty
    he sounded like a good man [​IMG]
    reminds me alot of my grandfather..wasnt related by blood tho. but he treated me like i was.
    i dont really know my blood grandfather..oh well.
    anyway,
    the memories are one of the greatest gifts anyone could ever get. I hope your doing okay, [​IMG]
    i know all to well about losing the ones that are close to us..
    im sorry about your grandfather's passing [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sorry for your loss, and I can only hope that at sometime in the future my grandchildren will retain the same thoughts about me.[​IMG]

10. mylittlezoo

mylittlezoo Poppy Creek Farm

Mar 16, 2009
    GA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by