A true story of my disabled chickens....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Dec 14, 2011.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    I was in a small pen, surrounded by other hens and roosters. They pecked me and the rooster tried to mount me. I huddled against the only hen who didn’t peck me, Hazel. She was a lot like me… she couldn’t see at all. Both her eyes were closed and she was the smallest of all the chickens. We were like sisters, we both were gold in color. “Penny? Where are we?” Hazel asked softly, for she always had a soft chirp that made my heart tingle with love for her. “In a very small cage, bars surround us on all sides… its terrible Hazel. Food is running out!” I said urgently. So as we sat in the corner of the small pen, awaiting the lady who always brought food, hens pecked us and make our combs bleed. We noticed a black and white hen who lied in the other corner, who nobody pecked or did anything with. She had a glare on her face, it seemed, and I dare not attempt to befriend her, afraid she may blind me totally like Hazel. I could only see out of one eye, and it had always been that way. I heard a hen say, “Hey look! That hen has a blue eye and a green eye! What a weirdo!” and then all the hens laughed. I looked through my good eye as I saw our owner put some bags with handles in a weird metal thing that moved, than drove away.

This story is going to be written in Penny's (my BO) point of view, this is from the beginning, before she came to us.
    Any comments would be great! [​IMG]

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I think it's wonderful that you've rescued those chickens.

3. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Quote:Thanks, would you like the next chapter? [​IMG]

4. GardenGal

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    [​IMG] I have to be honest, it just tears me up inside to think of what happens to mistreated animals, and their stories haunt me. It matters, what you're doing though, so write!

5. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Alone. Nobody to care for us. The pen was covered in feces, water was gone. Suddenly a red truck came rumbling down the road, and a lady got out. She examined our pen, then went back and got 3 big dog crates. She loaded us all in and stuck us back in the truck. We arrived, weird noises cut through the air. I heard loud barks and whinneys, and this scared me. I couldn’t see anything, not because of my eyes, but because our cage was covered in a towel. We were being carried, and set down. Suddenly the door opened, and we were let into a pen with food and water! I jumped out, happy to be free! Hazel was pushed out by the stampede of chickens, and I quickly nudged her aside, afraid she might be trampled. The lady gave us plenty of attention, treating any wounds and giving us medicines. On the second week, we were let outside! I walked outside when suddenly a hen pecked my tail feather and I went running across the yard and bumped into a fence. A loud bark came from next to me, and I ran blindly towards a coop. I walked inside another fence, than wandered into the coop. Hens lined the nesting boxes, and a rooster crowed from outside. “I think I am going to like it here!” I clucked to myself. Hazel! How could I of forgotten? I found my way back to where we were let out and saw her sunbathing in the sun. I clucked happily, when suddenly I heard a screech come from the pasture where the weird whinney noises came from.

6. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Quote:This ends happy, for 2 of the birds are still with me today. [​IMG]

7. GardenGal

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    [​IMG]

8. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    I ran towards the sound, tripping and stumbling along the way. I faced the paddock and saw the mean looking barred rock squawking and holding her bleeding foot in the air! “Are you okay?!” I squawked to her from behind the fence. She ignored me and kept squawking. I could see her foot had been stepped on by a horse and that she was in a lot of pain. Our new owner wasn’t home, so I couldn’t get help from anyone. Finally, the disabled hen limped out of the pen and limped into the coop and settled in the corner, still clucking in pain. I went back to Hazel and told her what happened. She nodded her head but didn’t say anything. She was very old and very quiet, but she was loud when she needed to be. I learned that the day a rooster attempted to mount her. “SWUAAAAWWWWWWKKK!!!! GET OFFFF MEEE!!!! BAAAWWWK!!!!” Hazel screeched, and the rooster fell back, his ear drums exploding. I squawked with laughter and told Hazel “good job”! Our new owner got home and saw the barred rock’s foot and attempted to treat it, to no avail. She sat in the coop all day, only painfully rising to eat and drink. She layed a egg everyday as well. Hazel and me were having a hard time one day, because we kept being chased by dogs, walking accidently into the horse paddock and being put through a harsh pecking order. One day, our permanent owner arrived.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by