A true story....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Oct 28, 2011.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    A true story of my 3 hens....

“What are we going to do, hazel?” Penny exclaimed as she remembered a few days ago, when all 15 chickens watched the red van drive down the dirt road, leaving them behind. With not much room to move, Penny turned her head around to face Hazel and Gloria, the 2 other hens she had become best friends with. Hazel was very quiet, as she always was. She is blind and old, so I didn’t expect a answer from her. Gloria, layed next to Hazel, looking at me with sad, mournful eyes. “The only thing we can do is wait… there’s no way out of this pen and that’s a promise I’ll make to you, Penny.” Gloria said. Hazel’s head slowly pulled up and a mumbled voice said “Is there any food or water?” “No…. she didn’t leave us with anything, Hazel.” I said. “Well then in my opinion, lie down and keep it quiet… I am preparing to go up to the great beyond. I, as myself, knew this day would come soon, but not this way. Life is a road of changing directions… you never know what will happen. Nevertheless, we don’t know that we’ll die, nor that we’ll live; so I suggest that you try to relax and sleep and wait for the next chapter of our life to come into place.”
    The next day, I was hungrier than ever! There were many chickens around me who felt the same way. When our owner was here, we had a bigger enclosure. The rooster and a hen made chicks, and more chicks and more chicks! Now, 15 chickens were left behind to rot by the owner. Apparently word had spread about my owner leaving us… because down the road came a red pickup truck. The rooster crowed and all the hens scattered. I stayed and watched the driver curiously, because Gloria, Hazel and I are not scaredy chickens like those around us! I think some humans are great… others, like our owner, not so much.
    A women with short, tan hair came up to the pen, shaking her head. She went back to the pickup, took out 3 large dog carriers and put on gloves. She came over and unlocked our coop door, careful not to let any chickens out. She grabbed several chickens, firmly but gently. I didn’t struggle, nor did my 2 friends. We all were loaded into crates filled with hay and put in the truck. As we drove away, I looked back at the small pen, and thought “This chapter of our life has come PERFECTLY into place!”
    We arrived at a ranch and I knew it was a ranch because I saw lots of animals that I couldn’t quite identify. We were unloaded into a big pen with food and water and were kept in a dark, cool place for a few days. When she brought us out in the sun, I was amazed. I saw big, long legged animals with hard feet (Now I know them as Horses.), and smaller animals with lots of fur, except for one small one with short fur. They run fast and make a lot of noise! (Now known as dogs.) And then I saw my own kind, CHICKENS! We were let into a pen next to the other strange chickens that we didn’t know. I walked over to the divider and properly introduced myself… “Good day, madam! I am Penny, and that’s Hazel and Gloria, my best friends. We come from…” And before I could finish, this hen jumped at the divider, squawking loudly. I jumped back, startled. She looked at me once more and then stalked away. A week later, me and the other chickens were released to fend for ourselves with the other chickens…. AH!
    “SQUAWWWK!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME!?” I screamed at the hen who was trying to bite my comb, jump on my back and was trying to peck my eyes! “WHAT GIVES, LADY?” I squawked again. She said nothing but a few angry chirps. Finally she stalked away to go dig in the compost pile. “Great, now my delicate throat hurts from all that ruckus!” I said angrily. I sipped some water and the walked casually towards a small, strange looking rooster with fluffy hair! He was cute…. For the few seconds I didn’t know what he intended to do to me…. As he walked around towards my rear end, I was chattering away, not knowing. Suddenly I felt like a rock was on my back! I looked back and…… “WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME!!!!???” I screeched! The little elf was mounting me! I darted forward and thank god, he fell off me. Squawking loudly, I ran into the horse pasture. My squawking startled the horses, who then began to gallop around and it startled the dogs who started barking at the horses and that spooked the horses even MORE!!! I ran as fast as I could for the fence, but before I reached it I looked to my left and saw hooves soaring towards my beak!

To be continued.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

[​IMG] for the lady in the red truck.

3. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Quote:x2

4. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    [​IMG]

I thought my story was horrible because nobody was replying... so I didn't write anymore. Do you guys want me to write the next chapter?

5. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Yes! With photos!

6. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

You're a very good writer! I had to give up on a couple stories because I didn't think they were good.

Good job! [​IMG]

7. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    It's very good! Write more!

8. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Okay, I posted the new chapter on my first post! I wanna see some posts before I write the next chapter! Oh and I can't post pictures... I was never there when this happened! The lady who rescued them from the small pen at the beginning of the story told me all about their backround... and now I shall tell you guys! BUT I can post pictures of them now!

Gloria: [​IMG]

Penny (main character of story): [​IMG]

Hazel (R.I.P. She died from a tumor a few weeks ago): [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  9. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    Sorry to hear about Hazel....Good story though!

10. AnimalsComeFirst

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    Quote:Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by