1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Turkey With Squatting Rights?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by haystack613, Sep 1, 2014.

1. haystack613

haystack613 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2014
    I have a 3to5 month old bronze breasted turkey hen(the only turkey we have) and when I tried to put her in the coop and feed her and the rest of my chickens she just stood there like a statue with the tip of her wings touching the ground.I push on her side but it was like trying to move a boulder .Then she lied on the ground with her wings spread out so the only thing I could think of was to pick her up and she is NOT a lite turkey it was like lifting a 50 pound weight of the ground. She was detirmined to stay in that very same spot but I have no idea why and it's confusing me why she would do that because she hasn't ever done anything like that before and she is a very loving turkey.PLEASE HELP!?!?!?

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO

Hormones are kicking in at that age. She's presenting to be bred (`loving' indeed - just imprinted on you as a poult, I'd expect). Actually, this comes in very handy if one's variety is not a BB. One can toss the errant hen under one arm like a football and carry her off to the run.

Next time she does this, and you have to move her, listen to vocalization - kind of sounds like a cat purring.

Is this a thanksgiving hen, or a pet?

3. haystack613

haystack613 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2014
    Very much a pet we raised her in the house until she was too big and she sits on our porch sometimes thanks for the advice I've never had a hen just a tom before!

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Well, keep her foraging around and watch her diet. This variety is notorious for just not standing up one day, or on any day thereafter.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by