A two parter for the pros

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AnniesEggFarm, Apr 26, 2009.

1. AnniesEggFarm

AnniesEggFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Ok I have some eggs that have been incubating for 1 week, they look like this .... [​IMG] ....

[​IMG]

The embryos are moving but I am afraid that is going to be short lived, some have less than have the egg to grow into... [​IMG]

Any thoughts...

Also, I have two VERY broody DUCKS that have about 20 eggs under them, they have been sitting on them for about a week and a half. It is a mix of chicken and duck eggs. They have only had a male in with them since last Sunday. I candled a few today and they look like duds, could I swap out the eggs from my incubator with the duds, these mamas are very very determined!!!!! [​IMG]

Jenn [​IMG] weird

2. AnniesEggFarm

Mar 23, 2009
    Anyone have any ideas??? These are not shipped eggs, rested anywhere from 6 to 1 day while 1 collected eggs. They are a mix of bantam, full sized chicken, and guinea eggs. Guinea eggs where given a 6 day head start and do not have the weird aircell.

Jenn

3. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Not me, but here's a bump.

4. AnniesEggFarm

Mar 23, 2009
    No one???? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jenn

5. killer

killer Chillin' With My Peeps

keep turning them don't throw them out yet.

6. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

you've finally stumped everyone...

7. AnniesEggFarm

Mar 23, 2009
    Argh... I was hoping to hear, oh that happens all the time.... That's normal!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] .... The eggs are from three different sources, so I am sure it is something with the incubation and not with the eggs themselves. The one and only thing that happened was about 1 1/2 to 2 days in ( about 7 days in for guineas) we had a power outage [​IMG] due to storm for about 4 hours, incubator got down to 80 degrees.... [​IMG] I had just but given up, but when I candled the guineas in the a.m. everyone was moving like wild.... So I kept going, candled at day 4, great veining, day 7 all babies moving, but all with this weird shaped aircell that has taken over the majority of the egg.... [​IMG] They kinda look like the black and white cookies, black being were the baby is & the white being the alien void that has taken over their shell.... [​IMG] I am getting so frustrated, this is my second go, my first I lost to another freak accident... [​IMG]

Jenn [​IMG]

8. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    It is caused from not being rolled properly, or the humidity being to low. Mark an "O" on one side and an "X" on the other. Each time you roll which should only be about 3xs a day, first roll all "Xs" sencond all "Os". It looks to me they sat on one side to long, or you really need to raise the humidity, because the sac is starting to shrink wrap the embryo.

9. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I will take part two:

Yes if you have broody on eggs that are not developeing you can switch them out for whats in the bator, or swap between hens, they will not know which are thier eggs, and which are added eggs.

10. How old were the eggs before incubating?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by