A typical morning and new daily routines... **Pics**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cetawin, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Since the girls arrived in our house 3 weeks ago, there are now new routines...

A daughter who must go see her 'Sandy' before she even washes her face or brushes her teeth in the morning:

[​IMG]

A little taco bell beast who is jealous of the little things getting so much attention...must remind us he lives here...constantly!

[​IMG]

When someone approaches the brooder, jealous dog becomes guard dog:

[​IMG]

Boiled eggs are now +1 because the girls need one. Oatmeal is plus 1 bowl...for the girls. Veggies are plus 1 for guess who? The girls.

Life with chickens is good.

New habits in your house? [​IMG]

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I like the lid for your brooder. I've been asking DH to find me an old screen window, but I could quick make one similar to yours in no time. [​IMG]

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Do not use a screen...I used that for a week and it holds to0 much dust, they will figure out it is lightweight and they will knock it down to escape lol. Hubby made that one for me in about 5 minutes...chicken wire, slats and staples. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  4. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    our morning is pretty much the same with a few new things --
    every morning DH gets up for work lets dogs out -- ( give me a bator report when it was going )

now that the ducklings have hatched he gives me a brooder report on both the ducklings - chicks

let the adult birds out of thier coop

and than we are back in to play with the brooders full of babies

I cant leave the house unless I have checked on all the babies - first thing when I get home check on the babies - I cant eat anything unless the babies have thier treats first

yeap life with fuzzybutts is good LOL

Julie

5. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    Quote:When I got my order and found they had not just included an extra chick for safety, but an extra of each KIND (leaving me with 6 more birds than I had ordered, 2 of them ducks and 1 turkey) I needed another brooder ASAP! Having picked up an extra bin, because this one was unusual in that it not only was very clear, very strudy, had straight sides AND wheels, I had the box, but no extra fridge shelf (my lid of choice) handy. SO I looked around the house (remember, this is in the morning when I have not been sleeping well, waiting for THE CALL)
    I found one of those adjustable screens that slide to fit your windows. Just slightly narrower than the box and of course as long or short as I need.
    Hmmm, now what? I know after a few days the chicks might be able to jump up and knock it off or for SURE the nosey cats will! Look around again. AHAH! The clamps that hold the screen cover on the reptile tanks! ( I always have 2-3 empty tanks set up)These are little flat bands of metal bent into a "C" shape that clip under the edge of the tank and onto the top. VOILA! one on each corner and I have my lid. Just remove 2 of them to open, the other 2 made the hinge.

I like the "Jealous Taco Bell Thing"

6. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    a few of my chicks are at that " Hey look I have wings stage " so I am going to getting a lid on that brooder real fast !!

hopefully it warms up soon and the little buggers can go out into thier little hoop coop.

Julie

7. Moonwalker

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    Cetawin,
    I hope you don't mind. I sent the pics of your Taco Bell Beast to a friend who LOVES and raises Chihuahuas and hates chickens. (she had a bad roo encounter when she was about 3) Although, we HAVE gotten her to admit the chicks in the brooder are cute and pet them, she won't hold them ....yet!
    Suzi

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh no problem...I never mind my pics being shared. I figure if I want them private, I will not put them on the internet. [​IMG] Share them all you wish. [​IMG] Blue is a Blue Taco Bell Beast, he looks black in the picture. [​IMG]

9. Moonwalker

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    Quote:Hers just had pups that were Blue. I guess the breed standard has a color that is so dark black they look blue?
    For most animals blue means a kind of grey, but she says the extreme blacks are registered as Blue according to AKC. (Learn something new every day!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by