A Van for a coop???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Momma_Cluck, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    My Van just died... 2 blown head gaskets and a cracked block!

No-- I'm not some ditz who let the oil-pan get empty, or ignored the thermostat--- but it's a long story... lets just say-- It is KAPUT!

It isn't even worth trying to sell for parts-- SO..

we are gonna have it towed home and soon as the weather is better, and the snow gone, we'll turn it into a "Banty Shanty" for our 6 bantams...

ANYONE EVER USED A VEHICLE FOR A COOP????

Do you have pointers for a run or accessories???

Thanks!

(I can't wait-- gonna airbrush the heck outta it!)

2. skunknchatter

skunknchatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Northern Utah
    There is a post on the coop designs page (small coops) of an old vehicle that was used for a coop. It's pretty cool. I think it's an awesome idea! Be sure and post pics when you start.

Sorry about your van [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  3. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    hmm, first thing that comes to mind with a metal building, and that's what you have, is condensation. secondly, you'll have to adapt openings and sometimes mixing metal and wood just does not work out. then there's access, cleaning and deterioration of the floor system to consider. on the plus side it's for the most part fireproof and predator secure. you should also consider whether or not you even want to look at the shell of a vehicle on a regular basis. of course, if it still has a killer sound system you may be on to something.
    [​IMG]
    definately something to think about.

4. clay

clay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2008
  5. dale

dale Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2008
    Michigan you say.... I thought that we had a patent on that here in Missouri [​IMG]

It'd be tough to insulate, a chore to clean, and give a place for snakes to find a hiding place.

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I see you are in Michigan but I would be concerned you would cook them alive in the dead of summer.
    I say sell it to a junk yard.

7. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
  8. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    Thanks for the input-- and especially the links!

I plan to take out the seats--- cover the fabric areas with tarp (as I did the office-now-coop)...

For winter, there will be a heater under the hood that blows in thru the ducts...

for summer, there are MANY windows-- they will be OPEN but covered with Hardware cloth.

The only snakes we have here are garter snakes and "false adders"... neither a real threat to adult chickens...

I figured I can build a large run that is tall enough to come over the back of the van.. then they come and go from the back hatch via a ramp...seems the sliding side doors would actually make it easy to clean-out.

We have over 2 acres of "yard" and this is going in the back by our old fenced-in Garden where the Meat birds are gonna be... not really visible from the road or neighbors...

It will be home to 2 Sebrights, 1 Mille Fluer D'Uccle, 3 OE Banties and 1 mixed Banty....

And it will be a "Hippy-Dippy" Van-- since I used to do a LOT of art, and I just got an airbrush from DH for Xmas-- I now have a blank canvas to practice on!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by