A Very Cold Muscovy Duck..any Ideas..0

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cowdoggin, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Cowdoggin

Cowdoggin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    We have owned other breeds over the last 4 years, but this is our frist time owning Muscovies and while 2 have been fine all winter long one muscovy has not.. When is got cold back in Dec poor S'covy started getting cold..at 1st we though she was sick, but has showed no out ward signs, nor is there any wheezing, or anything else that I/we can see or find to suggest that she is sick.. . She is just cold/freezing..then I though maybe Muscovy are not a good cold weather breed, then I remembered..They have Muscovy is Iowa... then we though ok she's molting..which Scovy was at that time.. And so was the Muscovy Drake and our other Muscovy duck Daisy. Along w/them, we had some hens (chickens) and 2 Ancona Ducks also in molt..Yes they we're cold, but not freezing. Poor little S'covy seemed to be freezing and still is.. I have Owned (pet) Birds since 1978 and have owned poultry on and off since 2002, and full time since 2010, so I know how they should act and what things to look for.. I also know a bird that is sick, is usually dead, before it shows any signs.. But again Scovy does not show any signs or symptoms of being sick. she is just a Very Cold Duck..I am wondering if maybe is just has poor circulation but would like some suggestions/ideas.

We do bring her in at night when its Really cold, I have cold room in the house we keep her in, and watch her during the day..but I hate bring her is, because that could potentually cause an illness too..but its far better then her freezing to death.. and I just dont have anyway to make something outside..been trying to figure that one all winter..

took some pictures today, Daisy is the 1st 3 pictures and coloring in her beak and feet are a nice 'pink' normal color. Scovy on the other is purple.. so again any suggestion/ideas ???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Defenatly Plan on getting rid of the Muscovy Drake now.. as I dont want any pure Muscovy ducklings from Scovy, because if this issue.. the Drake is a bully anyway..

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have a few runners who are not very cold hardy, so I moved the night shelter into a structure that stays above freezing, and I watch the chilly ones - once they start displaying evidence of chills, we all go into the shelter. I have nothing to gain by letting her get sick and die from the cold.

Some kind of shelter is needed. And I have read that some folks make shelters and the ducks won't go in, but you don't know till you try. I would keep bringing her in. In my experience, if you are not bringing her into a 70 degree house, but just somewhere above freezing, like 40 or even 50 degrees, I don't think you are risking problems.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    It's been a rough winter, that i can tell you. I mainly keep scovies here, not my first winter either... in my experience they are not as cold hardy as other breeds THAT said it doesn't mean they don't get through winters, mine are and have.

I do see what your speaking of, the bill is more catching me off guard than the feet, those i do see change in coloring.. i have whites, black & whites, chocolates, blues and combinations of those, for reference, i'd honestly, have to go out and look at my bills on my girls... i will do so tomorrow. How is this bird acting otherwise? is she shaking? eating, drinking??

Diet? can you give me some background on set-up, is she being bullied? you say the drake is a bully, but to who?

I have bred Muscovy a few times, i own some of my hatchlings, the main things i have done for them for winter is good food, shelter(bedded well) and i ensure the facial fleshing is protected(Vaseline). I do not heat the duck barns, it's again been a super rough winter but we're plodding on, ever hopeful for spring of coarse.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Cowdoggin

Feb 3, 2014
    To Going Quackers, Yaa I know its been rough, last winter wasnt so good either... Dang Cold.. The Muscovy drake!! has been a brat since he was about 4 weeks old, (got him about Sept 2013) which is another story..lol Anyway he was separated form the group of ducks.(I have other breeds of ducks too).. for about 2 to 3 mths because he kept tormenting anyone he could get a hold of. And would Not let go.. He was just put back w/the group about week ago, maybe a little longer..and my slightly older Drake gave it back him "ten fold". things are going fine..at least right now. My older drake is a Welsh Harliquine/Appleyard cross and is the size of a Welsh.. So this was rather comical.. And Daffy does protect ALL his girls.. Its not the Rooster that rules the Hen House..It's the Drake!!!

Scovy is not being bullied and I do watch for any signs of those issues if ailment does not seem to be the problem, I watch for that issue regardless .. I also look for the Not eating/drinking issue too... and while she feels a little under weight...again..(got another cold snap).. because she just gets to cold to really eat.. She is eating, this is also why we bring her in the house, to make sure she gets something to eat when we dont see her eating outside, but on the other hand I have free feeders, so I have to go by 'how' heavy she feels.... I do watch things VERY closely in the winter...and on really hot days..

While the other ducks including Daisy and the Brat rome around, Scovy only walks were she needs to, to stay kinda close..but she walks very slowly, and then just stands around or lays down.. she is 'fluffed' all the time indicating that she is cold (which yes..can also mean illness). She just looks like she does in her picture when she is outside.. but she is more 'perky' in the morning when I put on the back porch, so she can fly back to the barn when she wants too.. And I can do my morning chores..

I did start locking Scovy in a cage in the Barn, during the day w/a blanket covering most of the cage to try a keep her in the barn where it is a little warmer, and to make sure she is getting enought to eat.....not sure how well that was working, because my chickens decided to kick all the bedding (that I had left) out of the cage, when I accidently left the door open.. So now I have to wait until payday to get more bedding.

Anyway, This is why I have posted for suggestion, because everything I look for and everything I can think of, is not the issue.. and I am hoping she is just cold sensitive ..but I dont want to miss something either..

Too Amiga..Sorry I might not have been clear on this, I deal w/Fibromyalgia so sometimes I skip info, misspell words or completely re-arange them.. .. All my birds, chicken and ducks alike, do have barn type structures that they can go into...and they get closed up at night. But I have no way to really keep the cold temps out..no way to heat the barns, even a little..again I have been trying to figure out 'how' to put a small pen inside the big barn, that will be warmer for Scovy. My "cold room" in the house, probably gets down to 65 in there , give or take.. luckily, we have made it this far w/o her getting sick, so Knock On Wood and Keep Your Fingers Crossed.. but yes this is my big concern w/bring her into the house, but again, I cant let her freeze either. The ducks actually have their Own Barn, but this winter I had to seperate some roosters and the Muscovy Drake into another pen, so the Duck Barn, became the Rooster Barn. But next winter I think I'll have to make sure it stays the Duck Barn. Its a lot smaller then the big chicken barn and maybe Scovy will stay warmer in there next winter..?? Either way I will have to come up with something.. just not sure yet.. AND If she was a chicken I would make her a coat..LOL

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would consider getting her into the cold room - just follow your gut instincts. She might get a bit unhappy about it, but I'd rather have unhappy that potentially fatally hypothermic. Sometimes I feel ducks just get run down and it's hard for them to play catchup in the cold. It's been an intense winter.

6. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

Would it be a good idea to keep her and another hen inside until she feels a bit better? Stress itself could hamper her ability to recover and having a friend with her will help relieve the stress of being alone?
    Oh and maybe you could try to weigh her every day to see if she's declining and needs additional care/support.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  7. Cowdoggin

Feb 3, 2014
    Yes.. I have been, and do bring her into the "cold room" at nights, IF she seems overly cold during the day, and when the weather is really bad, but I mainly wanted to make sure I wasnt missing any type of Duck Ailment/issue That I didnt know about.. and finding info on the internet can be worse then find the Needle in a Hay Stack. At least this is the end of Feb..so, as my daughter once said..years ago.."we only have 6 more months of winter left"" YAAA

Yes I understand all the issues that stress can cause and that fact that it to can be a big part of any possible ailment and the amount of time it can takes to actually 'heal'. Stress can in fact be a bigger part of the issue actually, then just getting the virus/infection/desiese itself..I also know that birds/poultry do not like to be alone, and they can get very stressed if they do not have a companion. This is partly, Why we have more then one muscovy ..Scovy was actually a little depressed when she was the only muscovy duck out there. No one to really 'talk' too. She would hang w/the other ducks that she was raised with, but was not really happy until we got Daisy.. (and the Brat) but Keeping Scovy inside for a while is not really an option as I no longer have a big enough Kennel..didnt think!! when I sold my large wire dog kennel That I Might Need it.. so I only have small dog crates.. SOO getting some more kennels is now on my 'To Do List" this year.. However, IF I would've still had my big kennel, Scovy would be kept more in the house.. and became even more spoiled.

We are trying make sure she eats something anyway, but she does not always want to eat at night either. I do try to feed in the morning to, but she ussually just wants back outside. She does have access to free food all day and I do see her go into the barn and have seen her standing by the food bin. No, no one is chasing her away, because Ducks Rule!! As far as weighing her, I know its not a 100% accuate but my daughter and I have gotten pretty good at 'hand weighing".. We are contsantly 'Hand Weighing" our Birds...we randomly pick up all ours birds, to give them some love, do general check ups, and see 'how' they are doing, so we have a general idea of "how' heavy they should feel. Again I know its not 100% accuate.. but we have picked up an instinct for telling when some one is losing weight.. or gaining.. just like you know you birds so well that you can instantly tell when something is wrong w/ one of them just by looking at them. This is why I now Scovy is a little underweight.. not bad, but enough, and because its winter time I am a little concerned and watching her very closely..

And Next winter I'll make sure I have something for Scovy, just in case..

8. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Ease her into warm water slowly, and also put down some kinda cloth for to stay on if it is tame enough

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    well i took a good stare at my ladies yesterday and did see a varied bill colour. Though, no one looked that blue. Do you have any stalls? buildings you can put her and a buddy with some feed/water in for a few days? some are so rough here(weather) i don't let my birds out.. i keep them in, they warm up the building well and gives time to recover from the extreme.

I will say sometimes, some things are just not diagnosable(without a vet) so unless that is an option, i'd continue doing what you are, observe, feed well give her good shelter options, maybe even some poultry vitamins to "boost" her up.

Ducks being prey animals(as you know) means they hide illness well, sadly that can leave keepers at a disadvantage and we may never figure it out, they may just recover or sadly pass on without us knowing what the true issue was. I have been there with that myself.

Good luck, do update us on her if you can, always good to hear follow up to these stores.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by