A very confused Chicken...thoughts please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CayuseRanch, Apr 18, 2011.

1. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    So a little over a month ago after reading chicken for dummies books, I bought some young laying hens from a friend that got into chickens almost two years ago. He took me into his chicken coop and I picked out two chickens from his 1 year olds and 3 from his 7 month olds. Each pick was chosen by the color of egg it lays...I wanted a colorful egg basket lol. Well after we got home with the chickens, I tried to watch each girl and catch them laying. There was only one that I didn't think had laid. My son swears he saw her lay, but I never had. She would go in the nesting boxes and hang out but never were there any new eggs under her. Then today I got to really looking at her and Im starting to notice some things that are not so hen-nish. Here's my thought....

If she is a He then why at over a year old........
    1 - Does he like to sit in the laying boxes?
    2 - Why doesn't he crow
    3 - he has not showed any sexual interest in the hens

If He is a She then....

Why are her tail feathers drooping
    [​IMG]

Why is her neck so long.........
    [​IMG]

and finally....why does she look like she is growing spurs??????
    [​IMG]

Thoughts anyone?

2. Steergirl

Steergirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    I think it is a she. Hens can get spurs and can have varying lengths of feathers and even some "pointed" feathers. With that little comb and no wattles I highly doubt that it is a roo. Maybe she is laying but you don't know it.

3. chickenlady4321

chickenlady4321 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Steergirl is right. We actually had the same problem with an americana hen. One day we walked in on her while she was laying an egg and we were in shock ^-^

4. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    The saddle and hackle feathers say Rooster. Every now and then you get one that is gender confused. If you really want to be sure if it's laying or not, why don't you separate it for a week or so? I would bet money you won't get any eggs.

5. Steergirl

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    I have noticed with the Ameracauna's (sp?) and EE's they tend to get pointed feathers.

6. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Well, the pullets sometimes appear to have pointed feathers because of the way their feathers are marked. But, a hen would not have long, thin, pointed feathers like these. Also, you can sex EEs by their color pattern and that pattern indicates a rooster. Maybe Illia or someone can back me up?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No doubt a boy!!!

That is a male Easter Egger (not Ameraucana)

Plumage olor, saddle feathers, comb size and color, spur size, etc all point to it, but most of all - plumage color and saddle feathers.

8. Steergirl

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston Area
    Oopps then my best layer is a boy. Hope you get it figured out!

9. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I have 2 new hens in my tractor for quarantine but when they are out I am going to separate, bit no bets I am quite sure it's a rooster

10. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    separate it (i think it's a girl) for a while and see if it lays [​IMG] and if it's a rooster who doesn't crow or mate your hens, well then just consider him a pet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by