A Very Happy Story

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Patchesnposies, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Our chick order from Ideal arrived this morning. All of them were in great shape, except for the tiniest one in the box, a barred rock roo.

He was smooshed, cold and stiff in a corner. To all appearances dead. He was not breathing.

A cold front moved through southern NM last night and we figured he just got smothered as they huddled for warmth.

We busied ourselves getting the live babies settled in and Papa wrapped the little guy in a paper towel and put him in the trash can.

DH went off to work and the kids and I got down to chores and homeschooling. A couple of hours passed by before one of the kids went to throw something away and saw the paper towel was moving a bit.

They brought me a stiff little bird who at regular intervals had what seemed to be spasms.

I figured his movements were related to rigor mortis or that it was reflex movements, but the kids were so worried that I decided to warm him up and feed him some sugar water, so at least they'd think their mom did all she could.

I couldn't see him breath at all. I put him under a heat lamp and gave him eye dropper drips of sugar water. Pressed very gently in his chest (chickie CPR) and within minutes he was definitely breathing! After about a half an hour he was opening his eyes and moving his legs and before we knew it he was sitting up and cheeping.

I am still not convinced that he will make it, as he is pretty weak. But it was a pretty remarkable thing to experience. I hope he does make it, though I know many would have culled him anyway.

The kids are amazed and, of course, have named him Lazarus.

I guess the old saying that "Where there is life, there is hope" is true.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh my, what a heartwarming story! Sounds like you may have a house roo now- check the threads on chicken diapers.

I am big on runts- I was a runt, and now I'm the biggest, fastest and happiest!

Good on you for showing the kids that a heart is never too full! [​IMG]

3. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    The 3 B's and I will be pulling for the little guy! [​IMG]

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Awwww how wonderful!!! I hope he pulls thru, sounds like he is quite the fighter. Now i'm wondering if the 2 dead chicks at the bottom of the box i got from ideal were really still alive. [​IMG]

5. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Bless you for putting in the extra effort for the little guy. I love happy stories.

6. Three_Blessings

Three_Blessings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Barry county, Michigan
    Oh my! A wonderful story!!! I hope he makes it! Your kids picked a great name for him. Plese keep us posted on how he's doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2009
  7. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    Too cute- I hope he makes it. I tried to revive some of my packing peanuts from my last Ideal order that went so poorly due to the postal system and weather patterns... I thought they were making it the first 24 hours... then nada. Good luck to Lazarus!

8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a Lazarus last year. Left him lying in the box while I tended the other chicks because I was sure he was dead. Later he twitched his beak a tiny bit... Warmed him up and he survived!

I hope your little guy makes it, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by