A VERY Hearty Thank You!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sussexgal, Dec 2, 2008.

1. sussexgal

sussexgal Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to extend a huge thank you to all the folks who post here about their ducks. In years past I was pretty much a slave to cleaning the duck coop in the winter time - it never occured to me to put their water and feed outside their coop.

Some of you wonderful BYC folks posted about this topic and how you handle the mess these little quackers can make. THANK YOU! The ducks were moved off the pond about a week ago and have been doing wonderfully with the food and water outside in a corraled area. And I'm not having to shovel slop every few days. Aahhhh.... HUGE sigh.... much gratitude. Thank you, thank you, all.

2. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

OH I agree! I always thougth they HAD to have water available at all times. DERRR they do sleep you know. It is nice to have people smack you back into some semblance of normal with their great ideas! We can get rather goofey with our animals and taking care of them better than we do ourselves! [​IMG]

3. Me too, I stopped putting water in with my ducks at night after reading about it on BYC. Last week I read in Holderreads book that they shouldn't be without water for more than nine hours. So now I have starting shutting them in thier duck house way after dark because it gets dark so early. We turn on a porch light after dark to keep away any possible racoons in our suburban backyard, although we have never ever seen any.

So much good information on here! Thanks to everyone!

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I stopped raising ducks because of the sloppy slop slop. BUT that sounds like a good idea for those of you who do want to [​IMG]

5. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    mine go in their dog um I mean duck house at dusk and I lock it, I figure if they don't have food in there they don't need water.They are unlocked at about 8:00, where they freerange all over the yard with the chickens. That's way over 9 hrs but they are fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by