A very interesting hatch. All out now.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 27, 2011.

1. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I thought some of you who hatch your own eggs may be interested in this. It is a good example of why only the best eggs should be chosen for hatching.

I have a setting of eggs in the bator all from a single duck. She is about 2 years old and consistently lays an egg smaller than average for my flock. Being that I am currently hatching for my show team and breeders for next year, I am keeping track of who is with whom and only hatching from a single female - or two if they are both in with the same male. That way- rather than having 25 different leg ring combinations to tell them apart- I can just makes records until about 6 weeks old at whih stage I will have selected the ones to grow out completely.

I have had a few ducklings pip the wrong end of the egg at time - but this hatch has me totally surprised!!! Of the 8 eggs- so far 7 have pipped, and all but one are the WRONG way. From what I can see of the 8th- it too looks to be the wrong way.

[​IMG]

I have circled where the pip holes are in blue on the the back to front ones- and in purple on the one pipped the right way. Notice the shape of the eggs - the one circled in purple is a much more normal egg shape- the others all being a bit narrow. I am wondering if this is the reason for them being back to front. I still have some more egg in the incubator from this girl- so will be interested to see how the next lot go.

Oh - and for those of you worrying about the door of the incubator being opened- The humidity was actually up to 90% and it was literally raining in there - the whole door covered in condensation- The humidity was right where it needed to be at 80% within minutes of the door being closed again. I wouldnt have risked the eggs if I didnt think that I could safely take to photo.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I had kinda the same happen to a set of Golden Cuckoo eggs I bought. I think 5 or 6 pipped from the wrong end. I turned around and hatched 2 from one of the roosters from that set but the females I had from a totally different breeder. Had 3 pip from the wrong end!! It's crazy!!

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Number one is out- As expected- the first to hatch is the one that pipped into the airsac. The other will take longer since there is less room for them to manoeuvre in to turn and unzip.

Backwards pipping ducklings can sometimes need some assistance, they either hatch well on their own, or if they havent been able to turn at all to unzip- they take 24 hours or so longer to absorb the yolk and blood from the veins.

Duckling 8 has pipped now as well - also from the wrong end of the egg. Plenty of noise coming from these guys too!!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Keep us updated and it's good your experienced with this kind of thing.

5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Im sorry but I had to laugh when I ead your post Ducky... Not that they all pipped on the wrong end of the shell but that people will now be having a heart attack when their eggs pip the wrong end and your in box will be full [​IMG]

6. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
  7. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    I didn't even know there was a right end or wrong end for them to pip out of. Interesting.

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    gofasterstripe - good to see you on here again, its been a while.

70%cocoa - thanks for that link- I do enjoy reading the outcomes of such experiments.

erinszoo - well at least I know now that someone has gained some knowledge from my post. Hatching year round I sometimes have some interesting things happen that I like to put up here so others can learn. Sometimes the eggs can be weirdly shaped - and the best way to tell which end is which is to candle to find which end has the aircell.
    It is important to remember that they can hatch successfully on their own- but sadly it often happens that thy run our of air before pipping. These ducklings dont go through the normal process- pip the membrane- then 24 hours pip the shell. When trying to pinpoint what has gone wrong with a hatch - opening the eggs that havent hatched is the only way to know if the duckling was backwards Sadly also at times when they pip they can break a vein and bleed to death. Looks like I got 7 with good aim.. No tell tale signs of dark patches inside the egg where the pip hole is.

Number two has hatched- on its own.

9. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    This interesting!! I hope you her a good hatch. I love being able to experience hatches through you since NO ONE WILL LET ME HATCH ANY EGGS!!!! Btw my dad wants chickens now lol. I asked him if I can hatch them lol. Wayne said if I do it at their house but I do t have an auto turner. Idk if I can trust my mom to turn them lol.

Wayne has gotten irritated with me being on my phone so he walked over to the computer to go on Facebook lol

10. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If your dad wants them- then maybe he can help your mum with the turning. It could be fun for all of you. Tell her to set the alarm to go off on her mobile phone to remind her to turn them..put a sticky note on the fridge and TV...that should work.

A surprise number three is now out. I hadnt even noticed it start to unzip. I hope to find more out when I wake in the morning- but for those still unhatched by the time I get home from work it will be time to start giving some assistance to those who may need it. I will get some photos where I can of the process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by