1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

a very long winded question.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by pusbag6, Jun 26, 2011.

1. pusbag6

pusbag6 New Egg

Feb 12, 2011
    Ok, so here's what I've got...

I have 10 chicks that are almost 2 months old. I have no desire to keep the roosters, and i'm finally beginning to be able to sex them. here's the questions. I would like to eat the roosters. Should I separate the roosters and feed them a meat feed? or should I let them just mature with the other birds eating the medicated feed? How long will it take to get the medicated feed out of their systems? Will they be too tough to eat if i separate them? Essentially I'd would like non medicated birds that can be used as fryers.

Thanks for any advice,

Andrew

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Should I separate the roosters and feed them a meat feed?

If you do, they will grow faster. Since you want them as fryers, I think it is a pretty good idea.

or should I let them just mature with the other birds eating the medicated feed? How long will it take to get the medicated feed out of their systems?

There is another active thread about withdrawal on medicated feed concerning eggs, but it would apply to meat too. I'm assuming you are talking about Amprolium. There are other "medicated" in medicated feeds, but Amprolium is the usual one. The clear answer is, you will get different opinions. Some sources say it is not a problem. Some say it is. I like what a bird vet said. He does not think it is a big problem because the Amprolium does not get absorbed through the intestinal walls that well, but due to the differing opinions he recommends a one week withdrawal.

I do not use medicated feed at all. You may have a history of Cocci where it makes sense to feed medicated feed, but in the absense of a clear Cocci problem, why not feed non-medicated feed. Then you do not have this concern.

Will they be too tough to eat if i separate them?

I'm not sure where this question is coming from. Why would you think they might be tough if you separate them? Different things can affect toughness. How much exercise they get, for example. But the big thing affecting toughness is age. The younger you process them the more tender they will be. We all have different opinions of what is tough, but I personally would not try to fry a rooster older than 12 weeks. There is not a lot of meat there, but you will get a meal. And if you separate them and feed them a meat bird diet, they will be about as big as you can manage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by