A very naughty chick!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rockabilly7, Feb 15, 2009.

1. rockabilly7

rockabilly7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    On friday I went and picked out my V-day chicks I got 1 barred rock, 1 new hampshire red, 1 brown leghorn, and 2 bantams. Besides the bantams all others were marked pullets but my little brown leghorn chick who is a week older than the others is very aggressive even to me when I put my hand in the brooder it charges me repeatedly and pecks me!!! Why is it doing that??? I thought it was abnormal for a chick that young to show aggression like that, could it be a male, or is it just a little badass baby lol??? What can i do about it, I hope you guys can give me some info.

2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I have had this happen to me and they have turned out to be roosters. [​IMG]

3. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Last year for the first time ever one of the Cornish Cross Chicks not even a week old bit me and wouldn't let go. It was like one of those America's Funniest Home Videos with a chick hanging off my finger. I was try to herd them inside after a afternoon in the sun and grass. [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

About 3 years ago I had a mean BA chick. One of the reasons I don't want to raise chicks again. Fortunately she grew up to be a fairly timid hen.
    Imp

5. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I don't know if it means it's a roo but I'd hold it a LOT and give it special attention. Some people say to pick up and walk around holding aggressive roosters under their arm like a football so I'm thinking the same might apply to your little one. But, of course, it's too little to put under your arm!!! [​IMG]

6. rockabilly7

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    I hope its not rooster I hate having to give away chickens because they turn into roosters it sucks!!! i am going to start holding it more its just such a little (insert the B word) lol I named her after this girl i know who is a total witch lmao!!!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  7. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Do your fingers look like worms? It could just be interested in a more varied diet than you have been feeding it.

8. rockabilly7

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    No she is deff. being aggressive. All the other chicks run behind her and she charges at me. But can I feed them stuff other than the starter I feed my older ones cooked ramon (hold the seasoning) and oatmeal, bread, veges, etc. but i was scared it would give the chicks runny poo.

9. futurefarmer08

futurefarmer08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    near Sac. Ca
    I have to agree with the rooster comment. We had one do that. He would always charge at us as a chick, and he turned out to be a roo. After holding him alot though, he doesn't do it anymore. He's mellowed a bit. I think all his energy is going toward trying to crow![​IMG]

10. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I'd hold off on the treats until they are at least 3 weeks and, when you start treats, be sure and sprinkle bird grit on (like salt). Otherwise, they won't be able to digest them. I used to start my chicks with egg yolk. Man, they'd go crazy! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by