A very sad day; now needing some advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LaurasLorps, Feb 4, 2012.

1. LaurasLorps

LaurasLorps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    this morning a small jack russell squeezed under our fence and killed two of my three chickens. I heard the commotion and got out there as fast as I could, but it was too late for my girls :(
    Margaret, my remaining chicken, lost only a few tail feathers but is quite traumatized. she's never liked being alone. she used to freak out when the other two would be out of sight for a minute, so I am really worried about her now.

i think it would take me a few days to find another chicken, and since my husband and I both work 8-5, I don't have a good way to introduce the new bird. I wouldn't want to just throw a new bird in the run and then leave for work, especially because Margaret is kind of a runt and is very timid.

so my question is, would it be less traumatic to find Margaret a new home or to introduce a new companion to her here?

2. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    Sorry for your lost [​IMG]

3. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss. [​IMG]

I do not have an answer to your question, I hope someone out there can assist you in this.

Lots of hugs & love to Margaret, poor little thing. Can you bring her in, so she is not alone? I had a sick hen a few months back & she did quite well in the large dog crate we had (kennel/crate).

4. Coffeemama7

Coffeemama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Central Illinois
    I am so sorry! We have had dog mishaps as well, even had 50 meaties killed in a single morning. It is always frustrating when you loose livestock.
    We have introduced new chickens to each other, putting the new one in a wire dog kennel, in the pen. By the evening, they are usually ready to meet, and by the next morning they want to be friends. Chickens are naturally "pack animals," and need to flock together. the feeling of safety is the main reason to have more than 3. I would add more than one chicken in your case, so that the group can make friends together. I hope this helps.

5. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    I agree with Coffeemama7 I would get more than 1 more to introduce and would try the dog crate idea for a day or two. I think it would be far less stressful for her to meet new chickens in her environment than to have to go to a new situation and also meet new chickens.

6. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i am the least of chicken experts, but i know animals fairly well. in my opinion, the kinder thing for her would be to have some new friend (s) introduced next to her but where no one can physically mess with each other for a few days. on a day when you can devote some time, they can get physically introduced to each other. hopefully, it won't be a bully, but someone who likes to have friends too.
    really sorry for your loss. that is terrible

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

If you are just getting one chicken to put in with your hen it actually should be very easy to put them together. All it will take is a few hours of the new hen in a crate next to your hen. Being that both will be looking for companionship. You shouldn't have to keep the separated for days, only a few hours. Good luck and I am so sorry for your loss.

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I really sympathize with you over your tragic loss. I know the feeling, having lost a hen in her prime on New Year's to a hawk.

I suggest you look for two or three eight-week olds on Craig's List. It's been my experience, older hens, especially lonely ones, usually accept very young new-comers with very little fuss.

If you were to locate two older hens who have lived together, they should be accepted easily by your surviving hen. There's something about being outnumbered, that seems to equalize things.

I certainly wouldn't recommend re-homing her. It would traumatize her further. She's suffering the loss just as you are. Getting some new ones as soon as possible is the right medicine.

9. CountyLimits

CountyLimits New Egg

Feb 4, 2012
    Very sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully Margaret will be able to bounce back once some new friends are introduced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by