A very sad day

Squeak61

Songster
May 22, 2017
Connecticut
Hello everyone :( I am writing this today with a very heavy heart. I went outside this afternoon, only to find my Polish chicken, Phyllis, and my Sultan, Tip, dead in the grass. It was not a pretty sight. These two were only a month and a half old. Phyllis was sweet, obsessed with people, and extremely cuddly and quirky. Tip was shy, but very lovable. Two of the sweetest girls in my whole flock. As many of you know, I love my chickens as family members, as one would love a dog or cat. I am extremely heartbroken :hit And even worse, one of my own dogs was the culprit. I’m very devastated at the loss of two of my favorite girls. I pray that you all be careful of dogs as well, even those that might seem harmless.

chickisoup

one Blessed chick
Premium member
6 Years
Oct 21, 2013
northern exposure Wisconsin
Hello everyone :( I am writing this today with a very heavy heart. I went outside this afternoon, only to find my Polish chicken, Phyllis, and my Sultan, Tip, dead in the grass. It was not a pretty sight. These two were only a month and a half old. Phyllis was sweet, obsessed with people, and extremely cuddly and quirky. Tip was shy, but very lovable. Two of the sweetest girls in my whole flock. As many of you know, I love my chickens as family members, as one would love a dog or cat. I am extremely heartbroken :hit And even worse, one of my own dogs was the culprit. I’m very devastated at the loss of two of my favorite girls. I pray that you all be careful of dogs as well, even those that might seem harmless.
So very sorry :hugs Don't blame yourself, we live and learn. I almost lost my littles to my cute little teddy bear dog who had never shown any aggression to my adult birds. It's something about the way the little ones dart around that triggers their predator instincts I guess. Fortunately I was right there to grab my chick from her. She still showed interest no matter how much I scolded so I never let her near them again. Now that their almost fully grown she has no interest in them at all.
Anyway, I am so very sorry and I completely understand your pain. Mine are my pets as well and my heart breaks when I lose any of them, especially the babies.
We can only protect them from what we know. You are a good loving chickie mom and you will never let that happen again. :hugs
sorry for loss.jpg

Last edited:

EggSighted4Life

Crossing the Road
Apr 9, 2016
California's Redwood Coast
Very sorry for your loss. :(

Young/juvenile birds are very tempting to dogs especially with their flapping and running/peeping being so much like many of the toys we buy ourselves for them to play with. And even if they didn't mean to injure the bird it can happen so easy. Domestic dogs are often the culprits... prey or play the results is usually not good for the birds involved. I know it could happen to me at any time.

Wish I could make it hurt less for you. :hugs

Latest posts

Top Bottom