A Very Sick-Looking Quail - Any Ideas Please?

Rachel96

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
South Australia
My female quail is looking pretty poorly. I noticed it at lunch time, but as I was out all morning she could have been like this for a while. She seemed fine when I fed her this morning though.

Symptoms/signs:
- panting & quaking, like her entire body is shaking and her beak is open.
- head uptilted, beak open.
- tail drooping
- wings are floppy, out loose and touching the ground
- not moving of own accord; has to be picked up and carried
- actually letting me pick her up and carry her without objecting; she's usually pretty grouchy about that
- I haven't seen her eating or drinking yet today
- her last 'poo' was very small, a thin yellow-white creamy sort of liquid

She also hasn't laid yet this week.

Needless to say, I'm pretty worried about her. I've never had a bird look this ill before. In fact, the last time I've seen anything look this ill was when my cat was bitten by a brown snake. And if you know what that looks like...

There's a strange lump on the front of her neck, which I've never noticed before (not that I usually go poking her neck), but Quincy (aka Mr Quail) doesn't have it - it feels a little like an Adam's apple. My mother wonders whether Quincy was a little rough last they *you know*, because he usually grabs the back of her head.

I've got a pic, too, but it's not so good.

Any ideas on what could be ailing her? Any reccomendations to help her get better? I don't have the money to take her to the vet, and they've probably never dealt with quails before anyway...

from Rachel.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom