1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A very unpleasant pest

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by klutzyruth, Mar 9, 2009.

1. klutzyruth

klutzyruth Out Of The Brooder

This was last summer, but I'd thought I'd share here.
    I went out to give my chickens their morning feed and
    found this.
    [​IMG]

It's a Moccasin. He went under the hot wire and tried to get through the
    chicken wire. He got stuck and I guess, in the process of backing out, got
    electrocuted. See it's tail over the wire?
    I went to get my camera and something to pull it out with.
    I got a pole brush cutter. Also, my husband got home so he and my son took over removal duties.
    Good thing because Mr. Snake wasn't dead. Just stunned.
    As soon as he was grabbed, he came back to life with a baaaddd attitude.
    My son chopped it's head off with a shovel and then it was buried.
    Never a dull day here.
    Ruth

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

There aren't a lot of snakes that really bother me, but moccasins qualify because of their bad attitudes. Glad you got him before he hurt you or your birds.

3. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Glad you all were safe and didnt get hurt. I let em alone as long as they are no where near the coop, but if they are found in or near the coop they will get moved and how they get moved depend on how they act. ......................

4. Faverolle

Faverolle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Do you have any other pics of it? It doesn't look like a moccasin but rather a watersnake. What state are you in?

5. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Do you have any other pics of it? It doesn't look like a moccasin but rather a watersnake. What state are you in?

I dont' know where the original poster lives, but I live in Wisconsin and we call them Water Moccasins....Mean mean mean snakes....Again, not sure where the OP lives, but that's what we call them here...(maybe it's just us, I don't know)

6. klutzyruth

klutzyruth Out Of The Brooder

Quote:I'm in central Florida. We have some ponds on the back of our property.
    This fellow was a mocassin. When he struck the shovel, you could see & hear his fangs.
    And no, there are no more pictures, because when he got free of the fence and was striking everything, I screamed like a little girl and hauled arse. lol
    Ruth

p.s. we don't subscribe to the *only good snake is a dead snake* theory.
    Live & let live, and all that stuff.

7. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    mosciann yes!!! he was I have a half acre pond by my house and thats what he was and they always have bad attitudes I kill everyone of them I see,good job and glad no one was hurt. but with those guys thats all they are good for .I live in N.E.Texas lake country area and I kill them all summer long going after my birds,and I also have a large koi fish garden and they have gotten in there and taken some very nice large koi.
    take there heads off .good job [​IMG]

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I'm in coastal South Carolina, but spent most of my life in Austin, TX- and when canoeing a big stock pond at a ranch outside Austin, at dusk, I had a water moccasin climb my paddle! I let him have the paddle.

We have 2 four foot long yellow rat snakes living under the house here in SC- they each are allowed 1 egg per day. After that, I run them off. We did have a rattlesnake show up in the dog's yard- he got killed. But we do believe in live and let live, as long as no one is in danger.

I chased a copperhead all over one day- he slithered off- then I found out what he was- Yikes!

Kuthzyruth, I am sure glad he didn't get anyone! Moccasins aren't known for their charming personalities!

9. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I ran over one with the lawnmower last summer. I think the neighbors three blocks away heard my scream when I realized it lol. If its just a rat snake or a garden snake we'll pick it up with a rake and move it but if its poisonous its fair game for my DH to kill because I'm usually running in the opposite direction lol.

10. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    That is one mean looking snake. [​IMG] Glad your ok. I am glad we don't get anything like that here. Mostly grass snakes. Harmless. OH that is an ugly looking snake. Gives me goose bumps just looking at the thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by