A walker that won't make grandma look "old"? Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunny & the 5 egg layers, Nov 16, 2011.

1. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    My grandma had a little accident yesterday. She was at the doctors office parking lot when she tripped over the side walk and fell. She ended up with a scrap on her nose and a few black and blues along with a bump on her forehead. She is overweight and having something to push seems to help her keep her balance while she walks. So I asked her if she would use a walker but she said that she didn't want one because it would make her look old. [​IMG]
    I want her to feel comforable with it and be safe at the same time. I was thinking that maybe we could make some sort of cart/walker that wouldn't look like one but serves the same purpose? I have seen some commercial walkers with seats and I really like the idea. Any Suggestions? [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

A cane?

3. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    maybe you can attach racing strips and
    mufflers!

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
  6. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Splurge, and get her a totally decked out model.

CD player, twin speakers
    Rear view mirrors
    Horn
    Streamers on the handles
    Chrome hubcaps
    Umbrella rack for rainy days
    Cupholders

You can get them really loaded these days.
    And don't forget to order the snow tire option. (even white walls)

Spook....who's been looking

7. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Serious answer this time.

Consider a quad-cane. Very handy. I believe there is a lightweigh
    model that she could keep in the car.

No shame in a cane.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I like the little colored roll ones than have a nice seat and a basket for carrying things. They even have hand brakes. Nothing at all like a standard Zimmer frame that is the traditional walker.

It's nice when you have bad knees to have a convenient place to sit, no matter where you are. Granny could pretend it is a shopping cart and that she doesn't really need it to walk.

Costco carries them as does BiMart, if you happen to live in the PNW. Should be somewhere around $125. You can also buy them at Amazon and eBay. They are usually red or blue, but I've seen them in purple. I suspect that all elderly ladies love purple. Also in taxi cab yellow.

9. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I hope you can find one that she'll use. I know my grandmother was adamant about not using any kind of walker. Two falls later, thank goodness she did not break anything, she was given an ultimatum. Use a walker, or she was moving to an assisted living facility (both falls were in her apartment). We were afraid that fall # 3, which was a when not if since she refused to use a walker, would result in a broken hip or something serious. She gave in and started using a walker, much to our relief.

10. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Awesome! I want one!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by