A wannabee hen father. Would like some advice.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by FreshStart, Jun 9, 2008.

1. FreshStart

FreshStart New Egg

Jun 9, 2008
    Hello new friends. First Timer here.

I responded to a craigslist ad wanting some chickens and the lady was really nice and told me to come here for friendly advice on how to start my own chicken coop.

My roommates and I live in Salem and have learned that we can raise chickens in our backyard. We are looking to purchase some supplies from a friendly person who would be willing to talk with us about starting a coop and give us a jump start with some friendly advice. We have no idea where to start, but are very reliable dependable people so if we get a helpful nudge from someone in which direction to go, we know we could have a successful coop.

Thank you for reading this. Any advice would be very helpful.

Looking forward to some Backyard fresh eggs in the future!!

FreshStart

2. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:That sort of thing is illegal in most states.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. At least now you know what you're in for. Welcome, and you'll learn everything you need to know just by hanging out here.)

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi FreshStart and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

If you haven't already done so, check out the information at the Learning Center (there's Raising Chickens 101 and Chicken Supplies), and also check out the Coop Design pages.

They should help point you in the right direction! [​IMG]

Hope this helps!

Dawn

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Welcome to BYC!!! You and your roomies are destined for chicken greatness just by being here!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

5. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Hi Freshstart-

WElcome. There is lots of good advice here. A couple things I would recommend: get a book like "Keep CHickens, Tending Small Flocks in the City" or other intro book.... and take a look at the learning center here on thei site, and if you like, at the web site we made for our town in Maine, SoPoChickens.org: http://www.sailzora.com/SoPoChickens.htm
    The
    info there is geared towards suburban chicken-raising, which I would imagine is what you'll be doing in Salem (Ma?)

Stacey

6. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Hello and Welcome. As far as advice: don't try to fight the insanity that is about to be just embrace it. lol

There are some really good threads on here with instructions on building a coop. Far better than anything I could come up with.

What breed are you getting?

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

8. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    Welcome! You will find all the information you need here, there are so many helpful, knowledgeable people around! Thanks to the support and information I found on this site, my first experience with chicks was great! They're 2mo now and although I'm still new at it, it's such a relief to know where to find answers 24/7.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Have fun with your chicken adventures!

10. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    best advice ever:
    Make the coop bigger than you think you need. cause once you are hooked you can possibly pass up a cute little fluffy butt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by