1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A **WARNING** ABOUT BLUE-KOTE!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

So I have been using Blue-Kote for years on my horses and more recently, on my chickens. Two of my Golden Laced Cochins (hens) were pecked in the backs of their heads by an over-zealous roo. The skin was broken & their heads swelled up. [​IMG] I brought them both inside (hubby was gone) and got them cleaned up. I added some antibiotics to their water and lastly, returned them to the coop. Then, the other chickens started to notice their pinkish scalps...so I thought--OH BLUE KOTE!

I grabbed Clementine & the blue kote and slopped a BIG dab on her head. She then shook her head, violently...

Here is the result:

[​IMG]

AND NO, IT DOES NOT COME OUT OF CLOTHING OR WALLS. IT ALSO IS VERY HARD TO REMOVE FROM HAIR, SKIN, EYES, LIPS! Oh and by the way, it tastes HORRIBLE!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  2. texasbartrambaby

texasbartrambaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Tulia, Texas
    [​IMG] I love your blue freckles! Sorry ... [​IMG]

I hope that your babies are ok and that you were able to laugh this one off!We all have our days!

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    [​IMG] I'm sorry...

4. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

OHS NOES!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Oh yeah--they are just fine...and it took me about 2 hours of scrubbing to get it off my face, eyelids & lip! [​IMG]

6. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

That is hilarious. I forgot to take the time and put rubber gloves on last time I used it and I'm still "wearing" it on my hands. The baby chicks peck at it. [​IMG]

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Oh yeah--they are just fine...and it took me about 2 hours of scrubbing to get it off my face, eyelids & lip! [​IMG]

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Luckily, I had on a hat--otherwise, my forehead would be covered, too!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2009
  9. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    That is great!!! I posted before about my incident with Blue Kote! Lets just say it was in my front pocket...

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Yeah, I can tell you're REAL sympathetic! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by