1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Warning about C and C Hatchery in Queen Creek AZ

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Detail, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Detail

Detail Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I have been to C and C Hatchery in Queen Creek, Arizona and they breed chickens non stop with terrible conditions of the facilities. There are many chickens shoved into tiny cages that look horrendous with eye infections, bloody backs, loosing feathers, and many many other horrible conditions like cages that needed to be cleaned. Several cages were stuffed with huge roosters and severely battered hens being bred to death not to mention a guinea with a broken leg that didn't look like it was receiving medical attention. All of the animals have clean food and water, but the ducks did not have a pool to bathe in and they most likely suffer from bumblefoot. Seeing as this is Arizona and its in the middle of the desert they needed water! They claim to be a rooster sanctuary, meaning if you purchase a chick from them and it starts crowing they will take it back and leave it on their property to pretty much fight with all the other roosters left there. They are not a hatchery; they are a breeder because their prices are outrageous for the chickens living in those conditions. $40 for a day old silkie chick is not right and the full grown chickens did not look to be show quality. Please do not support this cruelty. They do not sell anything online, but if you live in Arizona please do not buy anything from this business. I have reported them for animal cruelty, but since it’s a private business, I don’t think anything will happen. Does anyone have any advice on what more I should do?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    call the SPCA on them...poor things! [​IMG]

3. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Wow, that doesnt sound good..
    (I hope the owner of the facility doesnt have a BYC!! [​IMG] )

4. Detail

Mar 3, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Quote:I don't think he does. He doesn't seem like the pet chicken type. Rather just using chickens for his profit.
    His animal sanctuary is good just not the poultry section for his business.

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Sounds more like an animal sanctuary than a hatchery. The goal of a lot of animal sanctuaries is to raise money. The animals are simply a means to an end. Animal sanctuaries get all sorts of tax breaks, donations, etc. and the owners can come out very well indeed. The animals don't fare so well.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    They advertise heavily on Craig's List and from what I hear, their prices ARE outrageous. They figure if you are going to spend the money to drive all the way out there, you're gonna leave with at least one of their birds.

Vanessa (a member here) who is a grower in Glendale has been called by them telling her she needs to up her prices. She is very particular about how she cares for her chicks and juvies and sells from chick all the way to point of lay. If you want quality, give her a call.

Here is her ad on Craig's list:

Vanessa

Her place is pretty easy to find and her prices are reasonable. I know... LONG drive for someone in Gilbert.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  7. Detail

Mar 3, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Quote:That makes so much sense! Do you know of any other sanctuary that would fall into this catagory?
    And as for Vanessa, I have seen her ads and her prices are really good. Plus I bet she has good conditions, but ya its really far from Gilbert. That would be a day trip for me. I have been so close to driving way out there to get some chickens though. I am glad that she is competition for CC Hatchery. Just means that more people are going to her rather than this hatchery.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yeah, I'll bet they do the sanctuary thing...cuz they advertise all of the rare animals they have there.

9. chickart

chickart New Egg

Aug 14, 2009
    I couldn't agree more. We had a horrible experience with Joseph at CCHatchery. I posted our experience on Craig's list as a buyer beware--he had me flagged within the hour and posted a crazy response calling me a liar and making up all sorts of rubbish. (In his version he gave me a duck, for free). So in addition to his "hatchery" being more like a prison, Joseph is not an honest person. I've copied my post below. I just wish there was a way to alert other newbies like myself from driving all the way out there. The chickens were missing feathers, roughed up by too many roosters in the pen, the place was filthy and I noticed that each feeder was empty.
    Here's my post:
    Please Beware of CC Hatchery/C and C Feed in Queen Creek off Gary and the Hunt Hwy, located off Ivar and on Bryce. Owner Joseph #602-539-2397
    Our experience:
    1. Purchased 2 hens and 1 rooster. Price on Craig's list and phone was $8. Price after arrival $35 per hen, $20 for roosters. (After driving for about 45 with the kids, we decided to come home with something.)
    2. Next morning both hens had runny noses. Called Joseph and he said we could bring them back to return for refund.
    4. Upon arriving I was informed that he does not do refunds and that we could exchange our chickens for two others from the same pen.
    5. I did not want to risk any more sick birds, so I asked again for our money back.
    6. I was told that I could leave with or without chickens, but he would not refund my money. He also told me that the chickens probably got sick from my hens (which were and are still perfectly healthy).
    7. I took the two hens he gave me to replace the others. By 3pm one of the hens was laying on it's side with limp legs and the other was making a rattling noise while breathing.
    9. I been keeping both chickens in a separate pen. I've been nursing the limp legged one, hopefully back to health, in my kitchen. It either has Mareks or is just malnourished. We'll see.
    10. Hope to keep someone else free from the hassle and heartache. Good luck! I've had such great luck with other Craig's listers in the past.

10. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Hmm.... really makes you wonder.

Well in the situation you were put in, I think I would have done the same thing.

Did you report them?

Jason

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by