A way to help a fluffy hen see the world.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickonInc, Jan 31, 2015.

1. ChickonInc

ChickonInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm not new to the raising of chickens. I know it's a growing culture but some people love the funky ones. I have a large flock of a breed called "Silkies" Their fur like feathers and their crest looks like a Afro perched on top of their head. They wear turquoise ear lopes and 5 black toes. So fluffy they look like a walking cotton ball. But, hens do have a hard time seeing with the hair doo in the way. I have a silkie hen named Ellie. She has a new brood of 2 who are about 4 months old and she never moved to much. I tried the bows and the hair ties but she keep pulling them out. I then cut her hair, some people show their bird but I cut it so its unnoticed. I cut her cheek feathers a bit and cut her Afro at a angle so her eyes show. She looks funny still but that's her. She running around the yard and gets more excited when she sees water melon. So help your bird friends out and help them see the world around them.
    -ChickonInc [​IMG]

2. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

3. ChickonInc

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Ah, ok

4. Imachicklvr2

Imachicklvr2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Missouri
    How cute! How did you get the bow to stay in? My girls need a trim but I don't give the best hair cuts...I would love to be able to somehow keep their crest up out of their eyes without having to cut it.

5. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

The bow is just a ribbon scrap tied to an extra small rubber band.

6. Imachicklvr2

Imachicklvr2 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Missouri
    Thanks! Maybe I should try it again. I did try to use a small hair tie but it was scratched off in a matter of seconds. Silly girls. I am thinking the rubber band would be much better.

7. ChickonInc

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I tried rubber band it pulls her eye lids up

8. ChickonInc

Nov 29, 2014
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I took it out though.