A week difference in age?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Harriet&Lucy, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Harriet&Lucy

Harriet&Lucy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2010
    Puget Sound
    I'm going to get two new chicks this spring, but here's my problem: I like to get chickens of different breeds so I can tell them apart at a glance. I've had a look at the chick schedule at the feed store, and the two breeds I would want are coming in a week apart. So what do I do? I was hoping to get them to be friendly with me, so I should probably get them when they're still day old. But I kind of hate the thought of that first chick being all alone for the first week.

So what would you do? Ask the store to hold one of the first breed for me for a week, and buy them together? Or buy each of them when they come in a week apart?

2. JesNflock

JesNflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    What about buying 2 of the first one and then add the other one when it comes in?

3. Harriet&Lucy

Harriet&Lucy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2010
    Puget Sound
    I guess I could do that. It's one more chick than I intended, but the coop is big enough.

So, you're agreeing that a chick all by itself would be a sad little chick?

4. JesNflock

JesNflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2013
    NE Florida,US
    I would think so, but I'm still a newbie to chickens in general...the fewest I've gotten (at 5 weeks old) was 3...if you still didn't want to have an extra one you might be able to find someone who has chicks that would want it (or you just might fall in love with it lol..I have 2 that turned out to be roos...that was a few months ago and I can't bear to part with the cute little guys)
    Maybe the feed store would hold them if you ask?

Edited to add: But then I have a serious problem...I end up thinking to myself "What's 1 more chicken?"...now my little flock has grown to 13 lol I just can't HELP myself!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd talk to the feed store and see if they can hold the one over for you and pick them both up the day the second breed comes in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by