A Week on Anitbiotic, No Change

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LaurasLorps, Jun 15, 2011.

1. LaurasLorps

LaurasLorps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I have a (roughly) 2.5 week old barred rock chick who has been sneezing and wheezing since the day I got her. She doesn't have any nasal or eye discharge or swelling of the face. She eats, drinks and poops but seems a little less energetic than the others her age. After a quarantine period, I decided to start her and my other three chickens on antibiotics (the kind you mix in water).

It's been a week and I haven't noticed any change. The chick still sneezes, and none of my other chicks are showing any symptoms of sickness. So, do I keep everyone on antibiotics for another week (the package recommends 7-14 days)? Is it possible my sick chick just hatched with small nasal passages or something?

Also, side note. I have read that I should feed my chickens yogurt after they stop taking antibiotics. What if my chicks won't touch yogurt? I've tried sprinkling their crumbles on top, serving cold and serving it room temperature. They will have none of it. Is there something else I could feed them that would get their digestive system up to speed?

2. Willie647

Willie647 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2008
    Southeast Texas
    We had no luck with ab,s in water. We do real well with Tylan injectable. 3 days,3 injections and bird is well! Search on tylan here!

3. LaurasLorps

LaurasLorps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:I've read that tylan is really good...but I didn't get it before because I have a pretty serious needle phobia. I'm just not sure I could inject my chickens without having a panic attack (dumb, I know). Is there another way of administering tylan? I read on one thread here that you could just squirt it down their throats?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Maybe it's because she has a virus, not a bacterial infection. Antibiotics are useless against viruses.

5. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:I agree with Speckledhen. Many sneezing illnesses are more likely viral--or it could be the wrong antibiotic. [​IMG] Be sure to give the chick additional vitamins and minerals to boost the immune system to fight it if you can. If she is eating her chick feed well --great--if not try scrambled or hard cooked eggs for good nutrition.

Fingers crossed for your little one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by