A Welcome Falcon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Oregon Blues, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I'm plagued by 2 enormous flocks of sparrows. They destroy hundreds of pounds of fruit and gobble down an awful lot of poultry food.

Today, when I walked out to feed the birds, there was a Kestrel sitting on top of the brush pile that is a favorite of one of the sparrow flocks. She flew off when I approached, but I sure hope she has decided that this is a good place to hang out, with lots of really good hunting.

Maybe if she takes enough of the sparrows out of my poultry pens, the sparrows will figure out it is time to move on.

2. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    I suppose.. as long as she doesn't start eyeing your chickens as a secondary food source. Have you considered trying to build a treadle feeder to cut down on the sparrows mooching?

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Most chickens are probably too large for a kestrel. Chicks would certainly be at risk, and maybe OEGB or serama-sized chickens, but anything larger than that is probably safe.

4. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Kestrels are beautiful...I don't think they would try for a full grown standard chicken...

5. Oregon Blues

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    There is no way that a Kestrel, at something near 6 ounces in weight and standing all of 7-8 inches tall, is going to attempt a 9 pound duck or a 30 pound gander. Those sparrows are at the top of their size limit for prey.

I suspect that a kestrel could come screaming down out of the sky at 30 mph, hit a goose, and simply bounce off. Not even giving the goose a headache. So I am not worried about my poultry.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  6. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    Cool!!!!

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have seen a 5-week old game chick attack, apparently with intent to kill, a fledgling female American kestrel. If I did not intervene that may well have been outcome. The kestrel was a great deal smaller than chick and if chick where adult, the kestrel would have been killed in one flogging. The kestrol just does not have tools needed to take on a chicken. Biggest prey I have seen kestrel take was an American robin and kestrel must have been desparate since it took quite a while for kestrel to prevail after contact was made.

8. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  9. Oregon Blues

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've seen my ducks eating a sparrow, but they aren't much good at actually catching them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by