1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

a welsummer?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jeffwgood, Feb 17, 2014.

1. jeffwgood

jeffwgood Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2014
    Indiana
    hello all, I'm a newbie here. I need your help figuring out what breed chicken this is. Here is the story, we had been getting a couple green eggs a week. No big deal, we have an Aracuana, so we just figured she started laying. Well we have been getting two green eggs a day. So I started getting suspicious. Well today I caught what I thought was one of our two Welsummers sitting in the nesting box. I picked her up and no egg. A minute later she got up and there was the green egg. So is this possible because of the mix she is or what? In the picture she is the one on top and her egg is the one to the left. I put it next to the white egg to show the color better. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She's an Easter Egger,and so is the other large breed bird in the pic from what I can tell. Likely sold as Ameraucana or Aracauna, but in actuality don't meet any breed standard, they're just nice, multi colored birds that lay blue or green eggs.

3. jeffwgood

jeffwgood Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Awesome, guess that means we have 3 Easter Eggers then! Is it normal for them to be laying daily when it's 0 degrees out?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I have a new layer that started laying on the shortest day of the year, so anything's possible!

For birds, it's not the temp so much as the hours of daylight that trigger egg production. Days are getting longer now, so birds bought last summer/fall are going to start laying, regardless of temp. Congrats on your new eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by