A white owl

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by rooster0209, Nov 17, 2008.

1. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    I didnt think I should post in predators/pests because its not at my farm but at my MIL's. My husband saw it last night roosting on an old tractor/backhoe. The dog was barking at it and Craig went to see what the fuss was about. The owl had a muskratt it was feasting on. There is a slough by the trees and the owl had found a nice place to roost and hunt from. I thought it was very pretty but glad its not here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Cool! Thanks for sharing.

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    very gorgeous owl! I've only ever seen screetch owls around here (and i take that back i've seen a greathorned owl too lol) but was never lucky enough to have a camera [​IMG] By the way im pretty sure that's a "great horned owl" I'm pretty sure (not know for sure....but it surely does look like one, it's deffinatly not a barn owl but theres other owls with tufts but it looks big like a great horned owl).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Looks like a Great Horned Owl, but light in color. Nice pics.
    Odd I just saw a pure white sparrow Sunday, in a flock. Just did have my camera.

Thanks for posting.

5. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    great pictures!!!!

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:i saw a pure white starling in with a batch of normal starlings (a huge flock of about 100 or more birds) in the summer. Evenif i would have had my camera it was near a busy highway I would have never snapped it *pouts*! A pure white sparrow woulda been pretty too!

8. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Quote:awesome sight. Thanks for the correction and info. I would say great horned owl too. I didnt realize there so many diffrent owl species.

9. Capt. Crusoe

Capt. Crusoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    McHenry County, IL
    WOW! Great Eye and Nice Photos! I thought they were nocturnal – In your photo, the sky was very blue – looked midday! YIKES!! I best keep an eye out during the day as we have a huge barn owl (or so he/she looks) but have only seen him/her from dust til dawn. Thanks for sharing.

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks for sharing; I now we have owls around here, but I'm SURE not that variety of them, and I've never seen one...au natural like that! What a GORGEOUS animal!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by