A word of Advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickiegirls2, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Chickiegirls2

Chickiegirls2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Ok, I am expecting 9 chicks from my pet chicken on Tues, Wed, or Thurs. I am so afraid that when I open the box from the post office that some of them will be dead from travel. Did anyone order from a website and pick them up at the post office??? Is it common? Also another thing... I am really confused about what to put on the bottom of the brooder. I heard no pine shavings news paper, then I heard no newspaper... [​IMG]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    2 dogs, 2 birds, and soon 9 chicks!!!

2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I ordered broilers last year from mt healthy and they were really good out of 50 we lost 9 to shipping but from what I heard smaller orders tend to loose very few to shipping.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've ordered small orders from MPC 2X. Both times my chicks were alive and healthy. My brother ordered from them as well, and one was dead when he opend the box (actually, our mother picked his order up and so SHE had to find the dead chick). It's the risk you take with sending live animals through the mail. But chicks can die even when you get them from a local farm or hatch your own... I've found on-line hatcheries pretty daggon dependable and convenient (as I've only wanted pullets).

Pine bedding is fine for chicks. Some lay paper towels over the shavings for the first 48 hours or so to help prevent the chicks from sampling the bedding. But even when you take the paper towels off, they'll still sample the bedding [​IMG]

4. Chickiegirls2

Chickiegirls2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Oh, ok that makes me feel so much better!!! I would be devistated if one of my babies were to die during travel!!!!

5. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I also read a great deal of info regarding using cedar chips or pines shavings, because both emit vapors which can harm animals. It was recommended to me to use aspen shavings, which are hardwood and do not emit vapors. Aspen shavings are sold in the pet (dog/cat) section of the store.

6. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    I put an old towel on the bottom of the brooder. It prevents the chicks from getting splay leg. After about a week I remove the towel and use newspaper with pine shavings.

7. MamaHynne

MamaHynne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Green Cove Springs
    First of all, [​IMG] . Now breathe, darlin.

It is common to pick your babies up from the post office. Sometimes you lose one or more, depending on how their shipment went. The Hatchery you get them from will often replace them, or credit your account .

I don't know what everyone else uses, but I used papertowels at first, then just the white pine shavings from TSC. But as they've gotten older, I've like using a combination of builders sand (minimally) and white pine shavings. My brooder for the babies, which I call the "Biddie Bassinet", is a gigantic rubbermaid footlocker box. I put 1/4 and 1/2 inch pvc pipe for perching. (crossways)

I use the lid of the box to keep them contained. The middle was cut out and replaced with 1x1 hardware cloth I had left over from the chicken pen. That ensures good ventilation. I mounted my warming lamp on the back of a chair over one side of the box so the babies can warm up or cool down. This has worked well for me.

Good luck with your chicks. I'm certain you and they will be just fine. [​IMG]

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    i have also ordered twice from mpc. and have wonderful chickens!!! you might have a dead chicken. it can happen. i had ordered ducklings from metzers this year and i had one that died. but too few an order can mean a dead one. i have learned. as far as bedding, i always use the shavings, as that is what they will have later on.
    on ducklings i used paper towels, lots of them. because its easier clean up.

good luck! [​IMG]

9. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I use the equine pine pellets under shavings and have never had a problem. I just put down a layer of pellet to absorb any moisture and cover with shavings. The towel idea sounds like a good one because you have to change out the brooder alot that first few days.

10. EELover

EELover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    I have 4 babies right now and this is the first time that I've gotten them from the feed store. I have ordered twice and picked them up from the post office. All were healthy and did very well. I have found the biggest problem that people have are that they order extra chicks because they think that some are going to die and then they all end up being healthy and happy. Then they have to sell their extras. I buy exactly what I need and get them shipped. Don't worry it will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by