A work in progress collection of photo of unknown gender blue laced wyandottes 6 weeks

Garona

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 5, 2014
So, I have got my own guesses on this, but since it's my first time with chicks I really don't have a clue and would like some opinions. Unfortunately I just can't seem to get pictures of them all properly so here is what i have managed to snap so far. It's a bit higgldy piggldy I'm afraid.

The chicks are: Red, Black, Orange, White, Pink, Green and Sky, so named from their leg rings.

White looks like a cockerel. Green looks like a pullet, and I think Sky may be too. A closer picture of Red would help, but I'm leaning towards male.

Thank you guys, here are some more pictures taken today which makes them 8 weeks old in these pictures.

I had to pick each one up and put them on the hutch but they are so energetic and love to always be with each other close so they didn't stick around long.

WHITE below

BLACK below

RED below

SKY below

ORANGE below

GREEN below

PINK below

We also have one Light Sussex born under our broody cuckoo marans. Im going 95% male with this one - this chick is 2 weeks younger than the wyandottes and has a very strong comb and waddles.

Some extra info I have accumulated:

White: 800g @ 8 weeks, very pink comb and wattle hangs fluffy tail
Green: 675g @ 8 weeks, yellowy comb no wattle hanging developing tail. uniform patterning
Black: 900g @ 8 weeks, pale pink comb and wattle hangs, fluffy tail
Red: 675g @ 8 weeks, pale pink comb and wattle hangs, tail developing
Sky: 700g @ 8 weeks, pale pink comb and wattle hangs (smallest hang of them all), tail developing. uniform patterning
Orange: 800g @ 8 weeks, bright red/pink comb and hanging wattle (most developed/hanging of them all), Tail fluffy
Pink: 600g @ 8 weeks, yellowy comb no wattle, tail developing

Tan (the light sussex): 650g at 6 weeks, fully developed comb and wattle, developing tail.

I love wyandottes and have had a lot of practice sexing, so I am fairly confident here. The only pullets I see are green and pink. The rest, including the sussex, are boys. With wyandottes at this age, don't worry about feathering as they can be very late to get hackles/saddles, but the size, and comb and waddles will be a dead giveaway. Anyone with pink/red comb and visible waddles is male. The pullets will have very pale and nearly nonexistent comb and waddles for quite some time yet.

oh dear so many cockerals! I was hoping sky would turn out to be a pullet as for a long time he/she did not have a comb/waddle until only just now whereas the rest have had visible signs for a couple of weeks :( Oh well, I have grown so attached to them despite not giving them real names! Will be sad to see the cockerels go. We will perhaps keep the light sussex cockeral though.

Back
Top Bottom