1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

AAAAAHHHHHHH.....what can i do to help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rooster brandon., Jan 24, 2011.

1. rooster brandon.

rooster brandon. Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Ok I noticed my rouen duck egg has a hole at the wrong end ( i think) last night i said its fine he has air but now its just a big hole...Well the shell has fallen off but the membrane is still on and you can see his bill i am keeping the humidity up but do i need to help he has made the hole a little bigger im stumped........Please help........

2. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Slow day uh.

3. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    Hes having a hard time i think its the membrane itse dry what do i do the membrane is white he has broke the shell but not the membrane besides a little hole should i peel some membrane off .....OMG.....please help....

4. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    Try wetting the membrane, not too much, but enough to make it pliable. Also, stop opening the incubator. It'll do this too all the eggs.

This is just what I've gathered from reading on here though. [​IMG]

5. rooster brandon.

Sep 10, 2010
    Kodak, by knoxville
    How would i wet the membrane ,oh and i have only have opened the bator once to put water in.

6. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I read a thread about someone doing that today...Hold on, I'll look for it.

7. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Try wrapping a damp/warm cloth around the egg for a couple of minutes so it can suck up some moisture....being carefull to let it breath as well. Take a wet Q-Tip and gently touch that membrane till it soaks up some moisture. Put a warm dripping wet face cloth into that bator as well. You need to raise that humidity up really fast.
    Problem is opening up the bator isn't good for the remaining eggs so your between a rock & a hard place.
    Good luck.

8. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    the bill should poke out the big end of the egg where the air sac is, if that helps at all...

9. EmtheFishLady

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by