1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

aaaah snake!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 12304, Jun 28, 2011.

1. 12304

12304 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    One day we found a giant black snake trying to get into our coop,scared me and the chickens were going crazy. It slithered under our shed but i feel like its still lurking around waiting to get one my chickens. What should i do?

2. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I would go check your coop several times a day just to be safe.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Be glad it's eating the rodents under there.
    I love all the snakes in my yard.
    The only threat would be to chicks or eggs.
    They won't bother a grown chicken.
    I would be afraid the chickens would kill the snake. Mine eat any reptile or amphibian they can catch.

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    One of the threads here on BYC shows how to use a minnow trap to catch snakes. The guy baits the trap with an egg I believe.

5. 12304

12304 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    thanks but i forgot to mention that i have chicks not full grown chickens.

6. 12304

12304 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    The minnow trap is a good idea! thanks

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    OP Sorry, I didn't know they were babies.
    Snakes love eggs.

8. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    One day we found a giant black snake trying to get into our coop,scared me and the chickens were going crazy. It slithered under our shed but i feel like its still lurking around waiting to get one my chickens. What should i do?

If a giant black snake, then I am guessing it is a rat snake. They are ggod for rodent control. If you have Large Fowl, they can't hurt your birds. They can and will eat chicks and eggs though. I know some people who tolerate them eating a few eggs here and there because they are so good at rodent control. When I discover them eating eggs, I catch and relocate.

Kingsnakes can be solid black or mostly black in some parts of the country (I did not see where you live). I leave them alone on my property as their favorite is eating rattlesnakes (or other poisonous snake). Once they eat a poisonous snake, they almost will hunt them exclusively.​

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Snakes can strangle large fowl chickens & kill them.

10. paperdragonfarm

paperdragonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Albany
    Snakes can strangle large fowl chickens & kill them.

Some snakes can, but those a restricted pretty much to the Southern Hemisphere and southernmost part of the Northern. And even in those areas constrictors are far less common than rat snakes, which aren't poisonous and are generally in more danger from grown chickens than the chickens are from them.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by