Aaaahhhh!!! I Hate Chicken Killers!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenjane82, Nov 17, 2011.

1. chickenjane82

chickenjane82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    [​IMG]

Im consumed with protecting my chickens! I keep an ear out all day for a racket, and BOLT out the door to make sure nothings getting them. Dang hawks are harassing me and my chickens.
    Ive had close calls but Ive been able to intercept everytime and the dumb thing leaves empty talons.
    I dont even like going anywhere because theres no one here to keep an eye out! Im going nuts!
    I woke up this morning and found a headless young rooster, gutted and licked clean! body, meat all intact, just missing head and no insides. HORRIBLE WHAT THE HECK!?!

[​IMG] Im sooo mad. and sooo sad!!

[​IMG]

I dont know what else to do to proctect them. It already consumes my whole day and now Ill have to worry through the night!

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] .... hawks are evil demons!!

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

If it happened at night it probably wasn't a hawk and could've been any number of predators. If you don't want the stress, you're going to have to build a more secure coop/run and maybe a bigger run area and only let them free range when you can be there to watch them.

4. chickenjane82

Aug 10, 2011
    I know the hawks didnt do it at night. But it adds a night time predator to my day time stresses! Stupid hawks arent afraid of anything. They swoop when Im standing out there!

SO FRUSTRATING.

The chickens are in my fully fenced front yard. Their coop is not far from the house. Its all right here. The guineas are pecking at the front window at me right now!

Im going to have to lock everyone up tight at night and let noone out till full daylight I guess [​IMG] I dont know how to make my fence more secure.. Hot wire at the top?
    Im on the verge of vineyard netting and hot fencing my entire front yard.

[​IMG]

5. chickenjane82

Aug 10, 2011
    clearly I need to spend more time cleaning my windows.....

[​IMG]

6. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Quote:rutroh!!!

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I know how you feel. I seem to lose a bantam or a young pullet each year......One a year......

Last summer, my flock was strangely silent. One hen (Whitey) sounded the alarm and I ran out! Lucky for me, I saw the hawk swooping down right toward my golden buff hybrid, Lily, and I ran toward them, screaming and waving and the hawk flew off without her.....

8. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Predators are doing what nature designed them to do. I do not "hate" them for being what they are. I just do my best to protect my flock.

9. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Secure run and coop.Could put up some bird netting to slow down the hawk.Shoot,that stuff even tangles me up!

Set a havahart trap 24/7. I got one for $45 at home depot and I am up to 15 coons and 12 possums.Good feeling to be rid of so many.

If you have squirrels create a feeding station out in the open.Put peanut butter on the top with some corn.Create a squirrel buffet for hawks. I read someone on BYC doing that,so I am making one too!Was planning on trapping them,but this is a better use of them.

Oh and create a lot of places for the hens to hide.My hens see the hawk WAY before I do.I also listen for blue jays who will got loud when attacking a hawk.

10. judyc

judyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Sounds like a possum. I would trap it or feed it something bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by