Aaahh, I can't keep up with the egg demand

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LoneCowboy, Jan 20, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    [​IMG] I have 13 girls, they lay really well, I get at least 10 eggs a day. I had eggs piling up in the fridge, so I got this bright idea to put a sign out. Well, one week later, I've sold all my surplus and everything the girls produced in the mean-time. I took the sign down, and still I had 3 new people stop today for eggs. There is no way I can meet this kind of demand. I have one regular customer who was out of town this week, so she didn't pick up her regular 2 doz. So once she comes back, the most I they can produce to sell extra is 4 doz a week. [​IMG] I need more girls that are laying. [​IMG]

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    What a wonderful dilema ... gotta have more hens - go get more hens!!

3. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    They take too long to mature. [​IMG] But I am getting more.

I wish it was cheap to ship eggs, I'd have all you with a surplus send them to me.

4. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    how far away is longmont from montrose? lol u can have some of mine

5. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    A long long way. Probably 8 hours.

6. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    well darn, sorry i couldnt help = )

( u need to sell in aspen i get 7 bucks adozen up there)

7. RedStickLA

RedStickLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    [​IMG] What a great problem to have...now you can get more hens! Yippeeeeeee!!! [​IMG]
    Mitzi

(OMG 7 bucks a dozen!)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  8. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I saw on the CO Springs craigslist there were a few people selling mature hens. Don't know how far that is from you, but there's probably a list based close enough to you to be worth looking at.

edited: this person is selling off hens that don't make the cut for his breeding flocks ("The breeds we have are buff, blue, and black orpingtons, delawares, buckeyes, and a few other odds and ends.")

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  9. gmc

gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2007
    Clay City, KY
    Like I have said before, I could sell a truck load a day if I had them. My wife pointed out that once again eggs are back up to $2.00 a dozen in the stores today. Why wouldn't someone take a fresh egg over the stuff you buy in the stores considering the price? One thing I've noticed thou, maybe it's just this location, but folks ask if they are brown eggs. I believe that I'd have a tough time selling my extras if they were white. Its a perception thing....

[​IMG]

gmc

10. LoneCowboy

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I sell them for 3.50 a doz $5 for 18. Nobody bats and eye over the price. I've seen them as low as $2 here. I'm tempted to go buy those and sell them for $3.50 [​IMG]

Eggs in the stores here, are up a lot higher than that. $2.40 I think DH said last time he went.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by